Good Disk/Pad combination???

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
insanerino

Good Disk/Pad combination???

Post by insanerino »

Hello,
I just want to know what would be the best disk and pad combination. I have a 93' MX3 that's about to get a KLZE swap and I want to redo the brakes and suspension and exhaust while I'm at it. I was told to get drilled and slotted, but I have no idea waht I'm looking for. I thought it'd be best to ask the people with experience. So what are good disks, and what are good pads to go with them? Please be brand specific, thanks!!!

-Randy

Oh yeah! Do you think it's worth changing the calipers? If so, what to?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Unless you're going to do autocross racing, regular OEM rotors are more than fine. In fact, I'd say they're better than slotted or drilled for normal use. Get some OEM style Brembo or Raybestos discs and call it a day. For pads, Axxis Metal Masters or Axxis Ultimate are good choices. http://www.brakewarehouse.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Myself, I'm amazed with the performance of my PBR ULX Ceramic Pads and my Brembo Cross Drill/Slotted Rotors, I'm still using stock capilers, bought 2 new front ones since they were partially seised and replaced one rear last year.

As for rotors, there's controvery over the benefits to drilled and slotted rotors, but this basically sums them up

- Less usable surface area for generating friction
- Less material to DISSIPATE the heat away from the pads
- Less reliable and they are a safety risk because of fatigue and stress
resulting from the reduced material

But that's upto you, i decided to go my own way and give them a shot. Next round I'm definitely sticking with the pads but may try the blank rotors to compare.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

I am in agreement with lakersfan. The OEM rotors are fine for most applications. I recently replaced them on my car and they work great. No need for crossdrilled IMO.

8) 8)
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”