waz up ? does not have power when going from 3rd to 4th ?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ktm_girl82

waz up ? does not have power when going from 3rd to 4th ?

Post by ktm_girl82 »

i have a problem don't know if it's the clutch but. . . i'm pretty sure it is ; anyways this is whats happening im driving car shifting fine after i reach 60 shift it from 3rd to 4th and it lacks power like total power surge feels like i have a big waad of toilet paper in exhaust system? i hate fixing my damn car and i just did a damn ball joint yesterday
DaRepoMan73

Post by DaRepoMan73 »

Does it do it any other times or just at 60
92 MX-3 rs(3 of them)
93 Probe GT klze
95 GMC Sonoma 355ci 425hp V-8
Yoda

Re: waz up ? does not have power when going from 3rd to 4th

Post by Yoda »

ktm_girl82 wrote:i have a problem don't know if it's the clutch but. . . i'm pretty sure it is ; anyways this is whats happening im driving car shifting fine after i reach 60 shift it from 3rd to 4th and it lacks power like total power surge feels like i have a big waad of toilet paper in exhaust system? i hate fixing my damn car and i just did a damn ball joint yesterday
It could be a slipping clutch because it will be more noticeable in the high gears first due to the fact the engine is operating closer to the peak torque output of the engine in 4th and 5th gear. Usually the engine will run normally but the engine will rev up faster that the accelleration of the car.

The way you describe your engine I would be more inclinded to think the Catalytic converter has been poisoned and is blocking up. The way the car is gear it might not be putting as much of a load on the engine as it does in the upper gears. If you are putting more of a load on the engine it will be making more exhaust gases that has to flow through the cat. If the cat is partially blocked then the gases have nowhere to go except back into the engine which would make it bog and I'm guessing that if you were to back off the gas when this happens and slowly depress the gas pedal the car will accelerate faster that if you just step on it. Next at a stop floor the car and see if it starts the engine started to choke at the higher RPMs. If this is the case then the next step would be to un bolt the cat at the inlet and run the car with the exhaust open. The car should run normally at this point in all gears. If this is the case then you will need to replace the catalytic converter.

Ther is one other option and the is the Fuel pump is starting to fail and can not supply enough fuel volume or pressure as the engine load and RPM increase
ktm_girl82

well well well i figured it out

Post by ktm_girl82 »

well after taking it for a spin for bout 10 minutes pulled in drive-way yeah guess what was bright red ? . . . well lets just say my brake caliper ceased on me yep what a huge pain in the a-- . . . oh well at least i don't have to touch the tranny (that's good news )! thanx for the inputs

R

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”