BP won't shift when car is running...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
PoisonDrop

BP won't shift when car is running...

Post by PoisonDrop »

I just put in my new BP, started it, everything works great...except the shifter. When the car is off, I can shift into ALL gears, including reverse. But when I start the car, the shifter won't go into gear. It's like it's hitting something in every gear. It doesn't matter if the clutch is engaged or not. I have tested it extensively, and done TONS of research on here, but I can't find anything. I'm sure the clutch is OK (brand new), and it disengages just fine. When the car is running, the shifter moves back and forth in neutral, but when I try any of the gears it's like the shifter is locked.

So my problem:

Car OFF - Shifting is no problem
Car ON - Can't shift at all

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT HERE? I'm going NUTS trying to figure this out...

My BP swap is in my sig if anyone needs to know any info...

Thanks in advance!
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

By the way, the motor and tranny are out of an EGT, as well as the manual shifter assembly. I did the BP swap as well as a manual swap.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Try adjusting the clutch engagement height. Refer to: http://atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/viewtop ... fa410b23dd
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94_MX-3

Post by 94_MX-3 »

i had the same problem with my 1.6DOHC, and my problem was that i put the clutch in the wrong way, might wanna check that out.
DaRepoMan73

Post by DaRepoMan73 »

I agree with the last post. That is what sometimes happens when you put the clutch disc in backwards
92 MX-3 rs(3 of them)
93 Probe GT klze
95 GMC Sonoma 355ci 425hp V-8
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

The clutch disc was marked "flywheel side" and I put that side toward the flywheel. An update though...

I replaced the bolt in the linkage (I used the wrong bolt) and that got the car into gear, but it's still tough to shift. I figured out that the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way, and I had to f*** my clutch pedal up to get it to work (the adjustments weren't enough). Now the clutch pedal is like a foot off the floor. The car drives, so at least I can get to work, but I have to get a new pedal assembly and figure out what the problem is. Could it be the master or slave cylander? How would I figure out which one it was?
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

you bled the clutch line right? i'm guessing you did but you might want to double check to make sure there isn't air in it.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

I bled the hell out of it. No air whatsoever. When I bled the line it got a little better, but not good enough to get the clutch to release without jamming the pedal to the floor (after first bending the hell out of my pedal and extending the rod).

I got a new master and slave cyninder, and the lines are already new, so this will give me an all new clutch system (as well as new pedals, since I f***ed mine up royally), so hopefully this will take care of my problems.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Yeah I'd say check your clutches. Also have someone look at the slave cylinder and see if it's pushing the clutch fork onto the pressure plate.

Aaron
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

did you put tranny fluid in it ? and did you tourqe the flywheel and clutch down ? i was so pumped to start mine that we for got to put trans fluid in it and same thing happend to me .
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Full of fluid...all the stuff os torqued...I think the clutch kit I got was a little higher pressure than the stock clutch, so I extended the rod in the slave cylinder, and now it works fine. Thanks for all the help, guys!
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”