Bent Rim troubles

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Mazderati

Bent Rim troubles

Post by Mazderati »

I have a set of stock rims for my 96 GS. I hit a railroad crossing and bent one of them. Its not too big, maybe 2-3 inches long and not badly bent. (or so it would seem by looking at it)
Once a rim is bent is it generally done? I have talked to a couple of places who have told me they dont recommend trying to fix bent rims.

Any experiences with this?

Thanks for your feedback. 8) 8)
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Before you go out and splurge on a new rim, take it to a small independent shop, and ask the guy to take off the tire, hammer out the rim and install/balance it. It might just do the trick and shouldn't set you back more than $20. 25 if he wants to charge you $10 for 3 whacks with a hammer.

It worked like a charm on my first Jetta, and I drove that car for another 40,000km before I crashed it.
Carthago Delenda Est
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

I bought rims off a member on here only to find 2 were bent (inner and outer lips) it cost me $350 to get them fixed, refinished (paint) and ballanced.
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

Spinkx - Where did you get them fixed ? In whitby? Do you have a contact number?
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I bent one pretty badly once and it cost 150 to fix and refinish it. still works well and I use it with my race slicks. Body shops have access to wheel repair places.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Mazderati wrote:Spinkx - Where did you get them fixed ? In whitby? Do you have a contact number?
No i went to Precission Rim Repair on Weston Rd.
Here is the #: 416 665 3038.

Honestly...I dont think i would go there again.

I went to a local place in N Oshawa who gave me the same price, i chose Precission because they looked more professional, had big crazy lookin machines all over and all sorts of torn down engines, cranks and heads hanging everywyere, the place impressed me.

Lets say te job was "OK"
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

I find small slef-owned shops usually perform better work. Their advertising is word-of-mouth, not commercials like chain shops, so I find they usually take more care in their work. JMO.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”