Smoking

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Captain Clint

Smoking

Post by Captain Clint »

My MX-3 seems to be smoking in the high revs. It looks to be a white kind of smoke. What could be the cause of this and what must be done to fix it. :?:
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Where is the smoke coming from? Maybe it is overheating? If it is white smoke then you're not burning oil... Are you sure its smoke and not steam? Basically, need more info...
Captain Clint

Post by Captain Clint »

sorry. its from the exhaust. it is a white looking smoke. only once its at higher revs is it visible.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Is there a slight bluish tint to the white smoke? If so.. likely your oil control rings are a bit worn and are allowing a bit of oil past them at the higher rpms and at higher oil pressure (due to the higher RPMS). Does the smoke lessen the more the engine is warmed up?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Majin Vegeta

Post by Majin Vegeta »

take this with a grain of salt:

I've read somewhere that white smoke can be a result of incorrect injection pump timing.

Is your car turbo charged?
94 MX-3 1.6L
04 STi
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Sounds like the valve guides are getting bad. With higher RPM oil pressure increases and in your instance oil may squeze by the seal and into the combustion chamber.
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Sounds like the valve guides are getting bad. With higher RPM oil pressure increases and in your instance oil may squeze by the seal and into the combustion chamber.
Its not oil pressure that pushes oil past the valve seals.. rather its the vacuum the engine creates that sucks oil past the valve seals when they are bad.. thus if you have bad valve seals you would be noticing more smoke on the down side of a rev rather than on the upside.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”