What to buy if you had $10,000 for a car

Off-Topic Discussions
happyclown

What to buy if you had $10,000 for a car

Post by happyclown »

When i get out of college this year Im thinking about getting a loan for a newer car and just tuning the mx for fun. Probably not gonna happen but im intrested to hear what others would do if they had about 10,000 for a car. Put links to dealers and e-bay auctions or something like that for 'proof' that 10,000 can make it happen. :wink:

Lets see it :!:
1993 RS Teal
Neil

Post by Neil »

$10,000 in hand? Since i already have a car i would have to say beer. lots and lots of beer.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

kay, this doesn't really answer your post but is offered fwiw... $10,000 would buy me two cars. Haven't paid more than $4900 for a car, ever, altho over time, have certainly put bucks into repairing/upgrading some of the ones I've bought. Financially (from my POV), makes more sense to buy a decently cared-for used car from someone else who already had to take out that loan, pay the interest finance charges and absorb all that vehicle depreciation at the same time.... :shrug:
Image -Jim
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Either a 2nd gen or 3rd gen Rx-7. There was someone local to me selling 3rd gen with blown turbos for 2800.... I wish I had the $.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

10 grand eh? Well first I would have to know what the purpose of the car would be.. 1) commuter/daily driver car 2) A Toy 3) Recreation vehicle.

Yeah I do think there is a difference between a Toy and a recreation vehicle.. though they could indeed be the same car.. The kind of car can also depend on where you live as well.. you wouldnt be likely to buy a convertible if you live in a tropical rain forest ya know? Anyway.. here are my choices.. and keep in mind I would only buy these cars if I had cash.. NOT a loan.

1) Commuter/daily driver - I would wait a couple of years then buy a Scion TC when the price drops a bit.. they arent the best cars for gas mileage.. but damn they have sweet styling and the fun factor should be pretty decent.

2) A Toy - I would find a 1967 Chev SS Nova 4 sp 327 and restore it - nuff said

3) Recreation Vehicle - Some kind of 4X4 that could take me offroad and put up with most any obstacle.. I dont really have a preference here because they all handle like crap and look like crap and get crappy gas mileage.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

i would either do a klze conversion on my mx and buy some new rims (te mazda speed ones from the miata) an keep any left overs or get an rx-7tt. other than that i would keep the cash.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

$10.000 wouldnt get me much of a car here in Norway...
Heck, my 92 Mx3 cost me about $17.000 Usd in 1999.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

nope-mx3 wrote:$10.000 wouldnt get me much of a car here in Norway...
Heck, my 92 Mx3 cost me about $17.000 Usd in 1999.

nope-mx3
:shock: yeow, had no idea cars were so expensive in Norway. If I had 10G's and was prepared to spend it all on one car, would probably check out a late model Yota Celica GT or GTS. Maybe a 2001 model. Reliable, decent combo of performance and good gas mileage, decent insurance rates, visually a nice looking car, but that's IMHO. I've had a Celica GT or GTS hanging around for the past several years and overall been satisfied with em. Except for an '82 GT that was a rust magnet, my '92 GTS has no rust problems & is still a very nice looking and performing ride.
Image -Jim
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

In spring, I'm buying a Ford Ranger/Mazda B-Series truck, something around C$6000 with a v6 and 4x4 that can tow the Mx-3, and other stuff

Ad much as I would like to get another sports car, like an Rx-7 or the sort, I need to consider function over luxury, and 2 cars that I wouldn't want winter driven, well, ya, doesn't make sence.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

My next car is definetely gonna be a Mitsu Evo 4 :D

Was offered a RHD one now, and it was about $27.000 USD, wich is cheap :)

Gonna ride and mod my Mx3 for a year or two more atleast (unless someone gives me a good offer after it`s featured in a pretty big Norwegian car magazine).

4wd and turbo is essential next time :)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

If I had 10G's and was prepared to spend it all on one car, would probably check out a late model Yota Celica GT or GTS
Hehehe... I"m picking up an 87 Celica GT for 350 bucks :P Definitely not in the greatest condition, but everything works (including the pop-up headlights!). Oh, and the engine is mint. :)

Sorry, kinda excited :P Anyway, if I had 10 grand for a car, I'd probably buy an MR2 turbo. I've been after one of those for a very long time.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Flashpoint2 wrote:Hehehe... I"m picking up an 87 Celica GT for 350 bucks :P Definitely not in the greatest condition, but everything works (including the pop-up headlights!). Oh, and the engine is mint. :)
Cool. That 2.2L motor is practically bulletproof and '87 is RWD so handles really nice - you should have fun with it.
Image -Jim
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

definately a 73 roadrunner with a 340 with the wedge heads and a six-pack, the pistol grip hurst factory shifter wiould definately be my favorite choice since my buddy just got 1 for 5500 cdn and its in mint shape. and the car is farking fast we had it going 230 kmh and well we got scared so yah it goes like a bat out of hell and rumbles like its gonna kill something. :lol: and well for everyday probably a pontiac grand prix GTP they are a desent car and you can get them for a decent price alot of the time just hafta know where to look.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Sell the MX3 then I'd buy a 95 Mustang GT, heads and cam, Elderblock Intake Manifold, full exhaust (H-Pipe), fuel injectors, suspension, 70mm throttle body, 3.73s and a CAI
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on September 9th, 2005, 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

lots of options, fix up cars ive got or get another mopar...bring in few extra thousand bucks just sitting in storage, maybe get rx-7, lots of options
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Off-Topic”