question about zx2 struts

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mxprecidia

question about zx2 struts

Post by mxprecidia »

The FAQ says I need to order 2 front upper strut bearings. Does anyone have a picture of these? Are they absolutely nessessary?

The FAQ also says to order 4 mx3 camber bolt? Can I use the original camber bolts?

And about the upper pearch mounts, does anybody have a picture of these to show me what needs to be dremeled?

Thanks.
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yes zx2 upper strut bearings. they are flat washer like bearings and are metal and make your steering so much smmmooother.

you will also want strut tops from the zx2 as well.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

DavidOS wrote: you will also want strut tops from the zx2 as well.
don't need those. justm od your with a grinder 10 min. each
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

Thanks guys but I am kinda a visual learner. I need to see things in order to do it right. Can anyone help?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I thought they had pics/link in the FAQ ?
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

mxprecidia wrote:Thanks guys but I am kinda a visual learner. I need to see things in order to do it right. Can anyone help?
I know what you mean I'm the same way, but trust me you will understand it all when you see it.

Get the ZX2 bearings and you will need either a die-grinder, dremel or possibly even a drill with a carbide tip would work or a very large drill bit. you just basically have to ream the hole a little bigger to fit the new bearings, and you need to use the bearing because the ZX2 strut shaft is like 2mm bigger then the mx-3's.

Are you getting new springs to?
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

Rick Johnson wrote:
mxprecidia wrote:Thanks guys but I am kinda a visual learner. I need to see things in order to do it right. Can anyone help?
I know what you mean I'm the same way, but trust me you will understand it all when you see it.

Get the ZX2 bearings and you will need either a die-grinder, dremel or possibly even a drill with a carbide tip would work or a very large drill bit. you just basically have to ream the hole a little bigger to fit the new bearings, and you need to use the bearing because the ZX2 strut shaft is like 2mm bigger then the mx-3's.

Are you getting new springs to?
SO i need 2 front upper strut bearings. Ok. But do I need dust boots? Are they absolutely nessessary? And can I reuse the mx3 camber bolts?

I have Sprint springs currently installed on blown oem struts.

Thanks
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

You don't *need* camber bolts depending how low you go... I'm not using any with my Eibachs and Zx2's my camber is 2 degrees and factory max spec is 1.5, I'm not worried about .5 out on camber.

Yes use the front ZX2 dust boots, they are decent quality. There is a small issue with the rears tho. I would use the ZX2 front boots and the MX-3 or EGT boots on the back, egt ones might be cheaper and they should be a onepiece bumpstop/boot if you want to use the ZX2 rear boots, you will either need to ZX2 strut plates or you will have to grind the factory stopper seats to accomodate the dust boot which goes OVER that, as opposed to underneath like the mx3 boot/bumpstop.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

dood just order the bearings and install them!

you'll see what everyone is talking about when you actually get there....as long as you have a dremel or something to bore out the stock struthats with you are fine

here is a pic of the stock shitty plastic thrust bearings:

Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I got new ones from autozone and the bearing part # for both cars was the same so no grinding was necessary.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

V8KOMX3 wrote:I got new ones from autozone and the bearing part # for both cars was the same so no grinding was necessary.
both car you mean both mx-3 and zx2 ? DId you ever look at the bearings ? they are different don't know why they took the same part number
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
therealstasman
Supporting Member

Post by therealstasman »

Last edited by therealstasman on February 17th, 2009, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

is this good price on struts? theyll work with dropzones right? or which springs would be best to use with them I guess Eibach that they recommend?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

when i go to oemfordparts.com and try to but the struts, it says i have to fill in what year and a vin# before I order the parts. What should I enter or is there another website where I can get these struts? thanks
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”