dunno what to call this thread, but WOOO!!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
snellgrove

dunno what to call this thread, but WOOO!!

Post by snellgrove »

ok quite a random thread, but...

I had basically not driven my car for about 6 days (was away 5, then it went away for some work - service, 4x new tyres, trace air-con leak)

got it back and had to be nice to it as the new tyres bedded in (nice soft Toyo T1-R's :D )

but I took the 'long' way home today - a proper winding B-road that theres never anyone on (goes near a quarry / industrial stuff, so its only used for that really)

and WOW, I really just woke up to how much fun MX-3's are again!! after not being able to drive it 'properly' for a while (felt like ages! :P ) I really enjoyed it (loads and loads, in fact)

such a drivers car - raw enough, but not uncomfortable.. guys (& gals) - look after your MX-3's, they wont make them like this ever again!!! we may take them for granted at times, but dont!! find a winding, really twisty road and rediscover your cars!!! they're excellent!!!!
1997, Silver, V6
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Good deal. It's nice to rediscover some performance after time off driving and especially after some maintenance or upgrade like nice sticky new tires. :2thumbsup:
Image -Jim
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yezzz mx3s are AWESOME... mine was down for 4 days and it was killing me! I was driving a bit of a faster car but not the same as my mx3 ..now my mx3 is as fast as that car tehe :D Congrats on the tires.. Am I the only one who thinks there should be an mx3 holiday? (ok i over did it :P )
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I second the MX-3 holiday.
As for rediscovering the enjoyment. I hope to be doing just that this weekend and your post ha really brought back the ankst (sp?) to drive it. I haven't pushed her in 4 months and haven't driven her at all in two. Since it has been down I've added some SRD lower controll arm bushings, LSD MX-6 tranny, high HP axles, finally put my stainless rear brake lines on, Cusco camber plates, and SRD coilover bushings to stop that damn popping of the springs. Should be quite different. And to top it off I'm racing it for the first time (on a road course that is) this coming weekend against a Honda club full of Integras, Civics, S2000s, Preludes. Not to fear though two of my club members are going with me to help make sure we come in 1-2-3. :wink:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

I'll be rediscovering the enjoyment this Saturday when I finally get my car back from the body shop. It's been there 3 to 4 weeks now. It's gonna be tits....

Good Idea on the MX-3 Holiday Hector :2thumbsup:
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

i just got mine back on the road after not having it for 6 months!!! and today was like getting in it for the fist time again ! and now i am not in a pissy mood to anyone anymore lol
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

yes mx3 is an excellent car, why go out and buy $30K S2000, save that money and upgrade mx3 and youll be faster than s2k's and handle just as good
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i was driving around a mercury grand marquis for a few days while the baby was in the paint shop. i almost got into an accident with that freakin boat, trying to take the exit ramps like i usually do with the mx.

gettin back in my baby is like comin home :love:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

PATDIESEL wrote:I'm racing it for the first time (on a road course that is) this coming weekend against a Honda club full of Integras, Civics, S2000s, Preludes. Not to fear though two of my club members are going with me to help make sure we come in 1-2-3. :wink:
:2thumbsup: :driver:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

I took mine out for a proper ragging tonight after I filled it up with fuel and checked the tyre pressures.

loads of fun, took all the B-roads and I did a few safe, wide corners where I could go real fast and beyond the tyres limits. Unfortunately other road users going at normal speeds (ie Slooooooooow round corners) in their big heavy lame cars, so I couldnt really test them too much.

but despite my best efforts for the rest of the night, I didn't get them squealing all night though, just gripped!! so much better than my previous budget crappy tyres the previous owner put on!!! - why do people buy a performance car, and then refuse to spend the £ on it, to keep it sweet?! - weird!

I have an open-pitlane, all-day track event coming up on 19th of september :D :D :D :D got tuition too, so thats going to be brilliant.. learn to drive properly time!!
1997, Silver, V6
Famine

Re: dunno what to call this thread, but WOOO!!

Post by Famine »

snellgrove wrote:ok quite a random thread, but...

I had basically not driven my car for about 6 days (was away 5, then it went away for some work - service, 4x new tyres, trace air-con leak)

got it back and had to be nice to it as the new tyres bedded in (nice soft Toyo T1-R's :D )

but I took the 'long' way home today - a proper winding B-road that theres never anyone on (goes near a quarry / industrial stuff, so its only used for that really)

and WOW, I really just woke up to how much fun MX-3's are again!! after not being able to drive it 'properly' for a while (felt like ages! :P ) I really enjoyed it (loads and loads, in fact)

such a drivers car - raw enough, but not uncomfortable.. guys (& gals) - look after your MX-3's, they wont make them like this ever again!!! we may take them for granted at times, but dont!! find a winding, really twisty road and rediscover your cars!!! they're excellent!!!!
T1-Rs are awesome. And, if you think they're awesome now, try driving it hard in a downpour. They can cut through an inch of standing water with little noticeable drop in usable grip. I replaced mine (2x front Pirelli P6000, 2x rear Michelin Pilot) with T1-Rs all round and it went from jittery in the rain, prone to tramlining, white-line-o-phobic and oversteery to p-l-a-n-t-e-d...

Anyone thinking about tyre changes, think of nothing but Toyo Proxes T1-Rs.

I had to drive a Clio for a weekend while parts for my MX-3 were on order (cambelt, automatic tensioner). It was awful at everything. On the way home from a long journey I stopped in at the garage and took the MX-3 home instead, with the chance to go the long but fun way. Lordy, was I happy... :D
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I`ve had the Toyo`s and those were the worst crap I`ve ever had.
They were totally worn out in two months of normal driving (after aliignment etc).
I even had some Falken`s ZE-502 or something like that (cheap crappy tire), and even those where better when used.

Took them back and got a 50% rebate on some Goodyear Eagle F1`s. Used them for 2..5 seasons (gripped better by far than the Toyo`s), and sold them and the rims to a friend, who used them for an entire season.

Now I`m only using Pirelli P-Zero Nero`s (NOT the M+S version, but ZR summer tires), and they are just awesome. When it rains, you dont even notice the road getting slippery, and in the dry it`s just insane :)

Now I know that you get what you pay for when buying tires, and I`m never gonna skimp on safety for my car. This is my second season since I bought them, and they are still
almost like new.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Famine

Post by Famine »

nope-mx3 wrote:I`ve had the Toyo`s and those were the worst crap I`ve ever had.
They were totally worn out in two months of normal driving (after aliignment etc).
I even had some Falken`s ZE-502 or something like that (cheap crappy tire), and even those where better when used.

Took them back and got a 50% rebate on some Goodyear Eagle F1`s. Used them for 2..5 seasons (gripped better by far than the Toyo`s), and sold them and the rims to a friend, who used them for an entire season.

Now I`m only using Pirelli P-Zero Nero`s (NOT the M+S version, but ZR summer tires), and they are just awesome. When it rains, you dont even notice the road getting slippery, and in the dry it`s just insane :)

Now I know that you get what you pay for when buying tires, and I`m never gonna skimp on safety for my car. This is my second season since I bought them, and they are still
almost like new.

nope-mx3
T1-R or T1-S?

The T1-R replaced the T1-S tyre and, though the wear rate is higher than the Pirelli P6000s, they offer much more usable grip - and predictable slip - in all weather conditions. I've had mine for about 8 months now (roughly 4,000 miles clocked, including normal and "spirited" driving) and when they're replaced they will be replaced with exactly the same tyres. They've still got roughly the same distance left on them before I need to consider that though.

T1-Rs are recommended fit (by Prodrive) on Imprezas (supplied by Subaru on P-Zeros), so I find it hard to believe that they're as bad as you say. That said, you can get bad batches of anything and personal experience is a hard indicator to ignore.

Incidentally, I had Goodyear Eagle F1s on my old car (which wasn't exactly a Le Mans Prototype...) and I'd rather walk. Funny old world... :D
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

They were the Proxes T1-S. They were so bad that I will never touch Toyo tires again :)

Also, one tire may be very good on one car and total rubbish on another.

That might be the reason the P-Zero Neros might not be a good choice for the Impreza,

(that is also the reason I dont hold much regard for tire tests wich tests on a standard car wich cannot be compared to a Mx3, and absolutely not mine.)

I`m just relaying my impressions after having my Mx3 for the last 6 years, and trying lots of different tires.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”