upgrades

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pipercub

upgrades

Post by pipercub »

hi im new to this forum i havent looked at whole lot in this site yet but anyway i got a '93 mx-3 gs and i got a hot air intake and 2.5'' exhaust piping and high flow muffler. i want a little more power to play around with and i got 400bucks to spend at the moment. i wanna know what mods i should get to get the most bang for the buck. i was thinkin of convertin my hai to a cai and maybe some ignition upgrade or a ground kit. what would ur take be on a cai, custom ground kit, plug wires and a millenia TB? my O2 sensors seem to be gettin old and looks like its time to renew them so i was thinkin of replacing them and also what would say on a hi-flo cat? good power gains?
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

CAI look down a few posts

whats a hot air intake why would u want one of those??

look in v6 faq for ground wires
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
pipercub

Post by pipercub »

a hot air intake is a filter that in the engine bay and sycks up the hot air in the bay and i dont want one thats y i wanna convert to a cold air intake. it sux up cold air for more power
pipercub

Post by pipercub »

ok im really thinkin of a hi-flo cat rite now since its cheap and will give a few extra ponies but what hp gain can i expect? i got intake and 2.5'' exhaust piping
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

a cat isn't going to do jack jet headers and a cai or save up more money for the klze motor.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

If O2 sensors need replacing than do those first. If not functioning properly, could rob car of power. CAI is always a good idea and not too expensive. ground wire kit - also a good idea. I recommend you do a search using the terms;
CAI
Magna Flow
ground, and
O2 as search parameters. Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to gleen over the applicable posts to get what you need. Good luck and Welcome to MX-3.com
john
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
pipercub

Post by pipercub »

well i dunno if the O2 sensors need replacing but it would be a good idea they r rusted all to hell and probly EXTREMELY carboned up. my muffler gets carboned up after like 10mins of driving even if its really clean after 10 mins of drivin its really black and carboned. how do i know if the sensors are startin to go? if they were starting to go could my check engine light flicker on and off sometimes? my check engine light does flicker i just never gone a get it checked.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Every one of your questions has either been answered before or is available in the online manual. I believe there is atest in the on line manual for the O2 sensors. The online manual as well as a search will give you the information needed for a DIY'r to get the codes from the ECU - it's not that hard. Get the codes first before spending $$ on go fast goodies. Is this car a fairly new acquisition? If so and not very familiar or handy with engines, it's best to do heaps of research. Your black exhaust could be a result of a number of things. Doing the basics like running some good injector and valve cleaner through the gas would be a start. Fresh plugs, condition check of plug wires, cleaning of contacts inside disty cap and cleaning of contact on disty rotor, a good quality, clean and freshly oiled re-usable air filter, cleaning of the intake tract to include Tb and IM. Running a HAI as you said could be a big contributer to those tailpipe carbon deposites.

BTW, scrap the Millennia TB idea for a K8 engine - won't help.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
pipercub

Post by pipercub »

well my car is burnin oil thats probly why there is carbon build up maybe. i got this car about 8months ago and have put on 9000kms now. the wires havent been changed since i got it so i dunno if they were ever changed my car has 179,020kms on it. and my disty is new along with cap, rotor, and plugs they r all about 3 months old now. i clean my air filter every so often and my TB has been cleaned not thouroughly though. my IM has never been cleaned and when i look inside it is VERY oily and gummed inside. i have put engine cleaner in last week but no fuel cleaner.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

My aviator friend, these two links should get you where you want to go. The second has a pile of links for the DIY'r. BTW, the second link is from the cover page to MX-3.com. Hope this helps.
Fly straight ... LOL
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ight=codes
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.br ... /index.htm
WTF

info mods

Post by WTF »

Want some power out of your naturally aspirated engine:

Do shave the cylinder head about .40 to raise compression, not much or else the car will heat up on traffic jams. It will not be a major power gain, but its noticeable. Port the cylinder head, more in the Intake, very very little on the exhaust. Just soften all the steps on the bowls near the valves. In other words the section where the port creates a radius to meet with the valve seats. Higher compression pistons or if you wanna save all that money just get a 1.8 DOHC and save for a turbo or develop more work on that 1.8 platform.
How can I remove Mazda Enthusiast?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: info mods

Post by jschrauwen »

WTF wrote:just get a 1.8 DOHC and save for a turbo or develop more work on that 1.8 platform.
:? ?????
pipercub wrote:i got a '93 mx-3 gs
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

pipercub wrote:a hot air intake is a filter that in the engine bay and sycks up the hot air in the bay and i dont want one thats y i wanna convert to a cold air intake. it sux up cold air for more power

meaning it would be stock and therefore not something u have
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Hoodzy wrote:
pipercub wrote:a hot air intake is a filter that in the engine bay and sycks up the hot air in the bay and i dont want one thats y i wanna convert to a cold air intake. it sux up cold air for more power
meaning it would be stock and therefore not something u have
I didn't interpret it as that since the stock set-up is a type of CAI. I took it as an after-market filter fitted onto the end of the flex intake tube after the VAF and residing in the engine bay and not the fender well or routed somewhere else.
pipercub

Post by pipercub »

^^ exactly i just have a ractive air filter on the end of my vaf and not the huge black box and also (WTF) im planning on swappin my K8 for either a kl-ze or kl-03. im thinkin of a kl-03 cause ill maybe just buy a probe gt for cheap take the engine and a MANUAL tranny from it and put it in mine so i wanna swap my auto to a manual. im not in a huge rush to get a new engine yet so rite now im just upgrading stuff that can be transferred over to the new one. i just want tips of what to get, everythin i had in mind ppl on forums said it all sucked so im askin ppl(if i cant find a post on here) first to know if its any good.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”