Mazdaspeed MX-3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Famine

Post by Famine »

UKMX-3 wrote:Yes I understand that...however I am advocating that Mr Famine....puts the KL-ZE in, and doesnt tell his insurance....because they will never know.....

I had my car in for an MOT and the idiots at the garage thought that I had an MX-6 so they wondered why my emissions didnt match the profile of a 2.5, thats the benefit of this car being so obscure.....people dont really know what its suppose to lok like anyway.

UK V6's look pretty good anyway, they have decent body kits as standard so just stick on the mazdaspeeed spoiler and you have a winner..... and if you have a crash....just rip the thing of and hide it.

I would also say however... that the mazdaspeed bodykit parts are very sutble and look like they should be on the car unlike some of the more in your face designs....therefore I doubt an insurance assesor would even realise that the parts were not factory origionals.

Anyway I know what I am saying is borderline illegal over here and to be honest I dont care...there's no way Im letting this countries ridiculous insurance rules ruin my fun....if they are willing to shaft me every year for ridiculous premiums....I'm gonna make damn sure i get my monies worth.

Anyway...Rant Over.....Normal Service to resume forthwith.

Thankyou.
It's not borderline illegal - it's 100% illegal.

In the event of an accident where a car has undeclared modifications (and yes, assessors know all about the 1.8/2.5 swap and WILL take the engine apart and weigh the pistons), the driver of that car is not covered - and this means that anyone they have a collision with will not receive any monies from the driver's insurance, as he doesn't have any. And that leads to suing, which is made so much easier by the likes of Claims Direct. And of course driving without valid insurance also ivalidated your road tax (so the DVLA can impound and crush your car). It's not just you that you're playing about with here, it's any potential "victims" in a collision you may be in - and who's to say after such a collision you'll be in any state to rip an undeclared spoiler off?

One of the reasons you get shafted every year for stupid premiums is because there are so many drivers - like you - who are uninsured and cost insurers hundreds of millions of pounds per year in legal fees and litigation. Do you like that irony?

And of course you DON'T get shafted for insurance premiums. Tell some of the Ontario folk here what you pay per year. I pay the equivalent of US$1000 a year and am covered for everything. At this point, some of the Canadians are picking their eyeballs off the floor and asking when they can move here.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

wow your insurance people actually rip apart the engine to see what kind it is?

jesus christ you have some thourogh assesments over there. I mean thats a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I've never heard of any insurance company in the world going that far to figure out if your car has an engine swap.

And I pay $2400 cdn a year for insurance which is roughly £1000 for full coverage on my car. I know of some people who pay 5k however which is roughly £2100. But I'm in no rush to move over there, although I can (dual Citizenship). I visit my grandfather over there and notice everyday life things is way overpriced. If you look at the prices of your things over there, the price tags say the exact same thing on them except they are in CDN not GBP, like coke for instance last time I was over there in july it was like £7 and over here its $7 so if you do the conversion thats double the price.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Famine
I've got virtually 3 times your driving experience, no accident claims and no tickets on file. I have maximum discount available and still pay $900.CDN (for each car- but I can only drive one at a time?). I can appreciate the consequences of some "shady" mods. Have you considered the HP gains available by having the engine completely re-done by bringing it within tighter (factory) tolerances - mazda internals, balancing, blue-printing, CAI, flowing the heads etc. There are a lot of little things that when added up pay dividends. See what the production motorcycle and car racers do to be competitive and still remain within the category of "stock". I know it's not a ZE conversion but you may be able to net 30 more whp(?) Just an idea, cheers.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Famine

Post by Famine »

*wanders off topic briefly*
johnnyb wrote:like coke for instance last time I was over there in july it was like £7 and over here its $7 so if you do the conversion thats double the price
You paid HOW much for Coke?

It's 50p for a 330ml can, £1.50 for a 2 litre bottle...

johnnyb wrote:wow your insurance people actually rip apart the engine to see what kind it is?
It depends.

Insurers like to get out of paying money out any way they can. Certain "tricks" which are well-known are investigated, like the trick about putting a 2.5 litre engine into a 1.8 litre MX-3 because it looks the same.

If they CAN get out of paying up, they WILL.

I've been told that the insurance regulations for Ontario are bizarre. "An acquaintance" is one of three drivers in his household and, apparently, he must be insured as the named driver because he's the least experienced. Despite the fact that there's one car, and only one of the family can drive it at any given time, they pay $8000CDN a year.

How accurate this all is, I don't know, but nearly everyone I've encountered from North America pays significantly higher premiums than we do over here. I pay roughly £600 (the premium is about £490, but I can't be bothered paying it in one go, so I get a credit penalty for spreading it over 12 months. That's going to change soon... :D) on the MX-3 which is group 14 (out of 20). I've been quoted £806 for the forthcoming Esprit (group 20) and my brother pays similar for an Impreza WR1 (group 20). I've been encountering people similar in age to me (27 - and that makes you nearly 50, js...!) paying twice that, with a similarly clean history for econoboxes.

js - that's interesting stuff. Do you have any more information on this? I'm not overtly bothered about power increases, but you have piqued my curiousity...
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

Famine wrote:
You paid HOW much for Coke?

It's 50p for a 330ml can, £1.50 for a 2 litre bottle...

sorry I was talking about a case of 24 cans. But for a 2 litre bottle of coke here its like $2 which is like 80p for you so now you can see what I'm talking about when I say everyday things are overpriced there
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Myself, i'm 24 with a clean record, Aapex driving school discounted, 10% familly discount, under my own name and i pay $1850/yr, so i cant' complain...i cant wait to see what i'm gonna pay at 25, just gotta keep it clean.

ScooterBovine wrote:So... why won't a rotary fit in the MX-3? :wink:
Here's some inspiration...a 323 wagon

http://p074.ezboard.com/ffordfestivaasp ... D=24.topic

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

johnnyb wrote:so now you can see what I'm talking about when I say everyday things are overpriced there
On the outside it may appear so, and indeed there are some strong examples. For the most part I think famine will agree that the cost of the average (_______) is no more expensive than a similar item here when taken into account the average wage. It's proportional.

"Drifting back onto topic"

Famine - was hoping someone wouldn't do the math.........LOL
As far as those tweeks that are available to stay within the rhealms of "stock". It was like I said. The complete outside of the engine would be K8, but inside you can do a number of things that can make a significant difference. It would mean almost a complete teardown of the engine which would IMHO be more expensive than an engine swap but it will keep you within the criteria you have set for yourself.
Starting with having the crank sent to a specialty shop for accurate balancing and brought within the tightest (factory) tolerances available. There may be higher performance rods and pistons (ZE) available. ZE cams is another possibility. Having the cylinder heads sent out to have them "flowed". Have the valves re-ground to tighter specs. Moving on, pollishing the inside of IM may also prove beneficial since everything downstream is flowing better and faster. Boring out the throttle body to compliment the previous upgades. Cold air intake with quality K&N. Using larger Mazda injectors to feed the hungrier beast. High performance wires and plugs. Completely replace all grounding wires under the bonnet. There's a number of power robbing things that can be improved upon - individually though they may seem insignificant. Make sure the disty is in it's finest form. And have a reliable tuner do that oh so very presicive final tuning adjustmants (timing, TPS adjust) after you've found the ideal cheat type chip to place inside the K8 ECU to tell it to unleash all the hidden potential. Shave some weight from the flywheel. Use the highest quality lubricants and coolants to help those mods do there thing better. Short of engine swap, this is all I can think of. Specialty shops can do balancing and blue-printing and will know where you're coming from as long as they have the right manuals and specs so they can give you the tightest tolerances possible. Hope this helps, as you can see, I'm not a mechanic, cheers.
:driver:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Famine

Post by Famine »

Well, well, well... Look what I've just encountered...

Image 1 (rear)

Image 2 (front)

Image 3 (side)

In AutoTrader. I've spoken to the seller and he says he's no idea if it's ACTUALLY a Mazdaspeed MX-3, but it came with the kit and the dials straight off the boat. And let's compare the wheels to the image at the top of the page... He bought it as a Mazdaspeed MX-3 and I'm inclined to believe him.

One oddity - it's an automatic 1.6i

The plot thickens...
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

NO the plot doesnt thicken... you are a tard and so is THAT guy if he thinks it really is one.

IF Mazda ever made a "Mazdaspeed MX-3" (and they did NOT) then it would at least be the flagship v6 model and a manual.. not the crappy 1.6 or the crappy Automatic.

That guy just bought the entire Mazdaspeed Mx-3 catalog it looks like.

Good for him. 8)
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

LOL, true...how many MazdaSpeed vehicles are slower/less powerful than their regular production counterparts?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Famine

Post by Famine »

atlantamx3 wrote:NO the plot doesnt thicken... you are a tard and so is THAT guy if he thinks it really is one.

IF Mazda ever made a "Mazdaspeed MX-3" (and they did NOT) then it would at least be the flagship v6 model and a manual.. not the crappy 1.6 or the crappy Automatic.

That guy just bought the entire Mazdaspeed Mx-3 catalog it looks like.

Good for him. 8)
So... you're theorising based on no information - just your OWN supposition - and insulting me based on that? Go you! Superiority complex much?

The guy in question knows nothing about MX-3s in general - that much is evident. And, as I said, he bought it off the boat like that - so, there's not much chance that he's "bought the entire Mazdaspeed catalog" (sic) (which isn't available in the UK). But, since I already wrote that and you already read it, you knew all that, right? Then called ME a "tard".. :roll:

I'm digging as much information out of this guy as I can - a shot of the V5C (vehicle registration document) might prove useful.

We all have things we can bring to this discussion. atlantamx3, I suggest what you bring from now on is silence. Though you did earlier state that you'd investigated the Mazdaspeed MX-3 for hours, but didn't reveal HOW you investigated it - that would interest me, IF you could keep a civil tongue in your head (or whatever the typing equivalent is).
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

This thread is still going? There was NEVER a Mazdaspeed MX-3. A google search turns up nada. An MSN search..the same thing. Mazdaspeed makes almost NOTHING for the MX compared to like the Miata and Protege. I know you can get universal seats but they do not make seat rails for our car. I called a good friend at a Mazda dealership here in Portland and It was confirmed that MAZDASPEED MX-3 does NOT exist!!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

I guess Mazdaspeed "forgot" to put the Mazdaspeed sideskirts on. :wink:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Nope, their there, they are the small ones...
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

No, those are just e-spec standard GS side skirts. Nothing Mazdaspeed about that.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”