EBAY CAI oh! yes! another one....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BornSticky

EBAY CAI oh! yes! another one....

Post by BornSticky »

I was wonding if I should just go with one of the cheapest integra cai's that i can find on Ebay or if I should actually spend a little more money on an AEM or other expensive CAI from Ebay since it is 1000x cheaper then in a store in B.C canada I found one for a good price looks kinda nice but will probably turn green after a week
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bomz-90- ... 3504QQrdZ1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-AC ... 4550QQrdZ1

or neither?????any info would be great
and jschrauwen I dont want to spend 10 hours looking through posts to find this out cause the ones I have found are different or just look wierd
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

Think your making this to complicated, they are both just piping and fittings. One just has a brand name attached to it. Plus your not going to get a whole wack of power out of a cai, so I say go with the cheap one. I didn't know AEM made a cai for our v6?
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I have a cheap one and it seems to work fine. However, I bought the 2 peice kind, I am not sure use the one peice kind.... It may work if you chop it in half and go from there..
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Yeah. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get the 2 piece style. And the two piece system ldoes ook like it takes a different route than the one piece system since they appear to have different bends.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: EBAY CAI oh! yes! another one....

Post by jschrauwen »

Not efficient

My Set-up

another variation

another variation

Gro Harlems set-up

absaths set-up
ImageImage
BornSticky wrote: jschrauwen I dont want to spend 10 hours looking through posts to find this out cause the ones I have found are different or just look wierd
BornSticky, I spent a little less than 30 minutes retrieving this material. I too don't relish sifting through archives for hours on end - better things to do sometimes. Simply a matter of patience and self-determination. We're all here to help and assist each other. This does not mean that all of your needs, wants and desires are going to be handed to you on a silver platter. It's incumbant on you to do your share. To do the necessary ground work where a subsequent query can clarify any of the info that you have gathered. It doesn't look like this happened in your case. Strange you would go on the deffensive right off the bat. There must be a reason foe that too. At any rate, I'm am more than willing to go the extra mile for those that showed deservedness and have indicated their research findings. Had you done this you would not be seeking a one piece unit from an Integra, but rather would have already known that a 2 piece is more suited to our car. The "weird" description is pretty far reaching. Perhaps it's a matter of taste and esthetics that you're trying to satisfy, rather than funtionality, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
As LF1 as mentioned, we require a 2 pieces unit that needs to be modified after the fact to fit our particular needs. Is it a matter of not being very handy with tools or possessing the skills to do the after purchase mods to the 2 piece unit? Here's what I used as well as numerous other members have used or ones very similar to this particular one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :EOAB:CA:6
BornSticky wrote:I was wonding if I should just go with one of the cheapest integra cai's that i can find on Ebay or if I should actually spend a little more money on an AEM or other expensive CAI from Ebay since it is 1000x cheaper then in a store in B.C canada
The final decision is always up to you. We only try to provide you with the best information and experience possible for you to make an informed decision.
Here are some additional links that may assist you in your decision making process and possible future install.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=cai

Enjoy and good luck.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

jschrauwen you have the best post I ever read. You put your heart and soul into helping people, and you sure spend alot of time on each post makin it perfect. Thanks man
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

thanks for your help I have been looking through the forums for over a month now through all sorts of intake ones and i never found as much of the specific and informative info as i did just now thank you very much

im sorry i didnt mention that i was looking through forums b4 its just i was frustrated at looking for info by that point
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
opdmize

Post by opdmize »

The best route is just to make your own as in the pics above, nice intakes!
1993 MX-3 GS/SE KL-ZE'd
Macen

Post by Macen »

And here is Macen's:

:froggie_red:
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Macen, I don't know how you get that first part of the intake pipe by the brake MC without touching it. Nice set-up BTW. And that does look to be the same as the 2 piece Integra unit I got and you actuall used the compound bend tubing too. Can you tell me where that blue tubing (the larger one) that comes from the pipe between the TB and VAF and seems to run toward the firewall and disappears somewhere under the TB. Where or what did you connect it to? Did I mention that that's a nice set-up? ... LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

A word of caution on the cheap eBay kits. I've been wondering why my KL had so little power after 6,000 RPMs. I thought it was just the KLDE cams. Well, a few days ago I took off my CAI to debur the inner radius of the tubing where I cut with a Dremel. I wanted to make sure the air flow wasn't restricted at all since I went through the trouble already to do stuff like shave down the screws on the throttle body butterfly. Anyways, I found out the tube going into the filter was ALLLLLLLLLL the way down to the bottom of the filter from the inside. So I was only using a small 3"^ section of my entire filter. I pulled the tubing out and clamped it down with the mouth of the tubing staying in the mouth of the filter where it belonged, and voila! I had her revving up to 7500 RPM. I was loosing alot of power at high RPMs. She's now rev happy.
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

So I bought a 2 piece BOMZ intake for $60 us $72 can I should recieve it in a couple days its already been shipped ill post a pic when its done With my extremly clean engine bay well not extremly but close for having 220,000km's
#5389 to join MX-3.com
Macen

Post by Macen »

jschrauwen wrote:Macen, I don't know how you get that first part of the intake pipe by the brake MC without touching it. Nice set-up BTW. And that does look to be the same as the 2 piece Integra unit I got and you actuall used the compound bend tubing too. Can you tell me where that blue tubing (the larger one) that comes from the pipe between the TB and VAF and seems to run toward the firewall and disappears somewhere under the TB. Where or what did you connect it to? Did I mention that that's a nice set-up? ... LOL
Well... it's a KL-DE, and the pipes are from an Integra. No problems with the brake MC. I cut the first part, as it was twice as long and pointed around the battery on my car. Also cut the second part a bit to fit the filter down behind the headlight.
The blue larger hose is connected to a pipe on the back of the engine (against the firewall), under the VRIS solenoid.

Glad that you like it. :)
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

And here's my setup. I had some space issues with my MSD so I ran the Intake down by the transmission for now. I'm going to make a CF splash guard that will force some cold air up into that area.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

James, nice engine bay, powder coated VC's and a polished IM - very nice. Your CAI is exactly the same way the numpties that installed my ZE did. And I found that all it was doing was sucking in hot air from behind the rad - not good. I extended it to sit even lower and just in front of the tranny but then it was too exposed to the elements, dirt, dust and especially rain - really not good. After looking at other non MX's CAI where the factory actually accomodates access into a dead section within the the fender wells for cooler air intake yet protected from the elements and also by looking at the CAI (from ebay) specifically designed for the 4 cyl MX's it clearly directs the tubing to the inside of the fender well. I'm thinkin' they've got to be doing something right here. I myself have noticed a difference by switching to the fender well and thinking on taking it a little further by semi-sealing that compartment in the fender well with plating of some fashion. These sealing plates are part of that same 4cyl kit from ebay which I may just get just so I can use the plates itself since the retailer or manufacturer was unwilling to sell to me separately. FWIW. Did I mention it's a nice looking engine bay, and all white cars have nice engine bays right?? .... LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”