Car overheated, now idling low, rough start-up

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Car overheated, now idling low, rough start-up

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

First I'll start by saying I have a 1995 Automatic RS.

Ok, so yeah, yesterday while on the highway, my poor MX overheated. Turned out I had a cracked hose, and all my coolant leaked out. Someone I know replaced the hose, and I can drive it, but now it's idling lower than normal. Now it idles at about 800 rpm, when before it would normally be at around 1000rpm. So when idling my car constantly shudders. Also it's takes longer to start my car, it's as if it struggles. Not really sure how to describe it,but hopefully you all know what I mean. Other than that it seems to drive fine.

After reading the other posts in the search area, I'm a little scared of what you all might suggest is the problem. But I need some insight. Thanks in advance.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well first off.. 800 RPM idle speed is closer to normal for your car than the 1000 RPM you had before. The rough idle might be a vacuum leak.. or.. your motor mounts could be shot. First thing I would do is check all your vacuum lines to make sure they are fully seated and connected. You might also be able to hear a sucking or whistling sound while the engine is running that will help you track down any vacuum leak. On my car.. the grommet that the PCV valve plugs into hardened up and the fit around the PCV valve loosened a bit and was allowing air to get sucked past the valve. Just something to check. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Thank you Tunes for the reply. :P I will check it out. I had to do alot of driving over the weekend, and it seems like as time went on, the shuddering and vibrating of the car seemed to lessen. It does still struggle a bit when I start up the car though.

I did realize my car idled higher than what the online manual said, and at first that really bothered me, but I think a couple of people on here idle higher as well, so I kind of let it go.

But anyhow, over the weekend I talked to a few people and a few of them suggested I get an oil change right away, which I can understand, they said the oil may have lost it's viscosity (spelling?).

But I'm just really glad nothing more serious is going on, I read some real horror stories in the search area. :roll:
Shades

Post by Shades »

I'm surprised you didn't warp the head.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Well I tried looking for a vaccum leak like Tunes suggested, and didn't hear anything, or see anything. The car is still running fine besides the lower idle and rough startup- except now the engine ticks until the engine starts to warm up.

I'm sure I need to bring it into a shop ASAP, but funds are way low right now. But I wanted to update you Tunes on the vaccum leak.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Did you change the oil?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

That tick will likely go away when you change the oil.. one of your HLA's probably isnt in the greatest shape and with the oil that thin.. it cant stay pumped up. Also it might not be a bad idea to check the gap on your spark plugs.. You may have burnt one of the insulators or something. Unlikely.. I'll admit.. and usually if you overheat a engine hot enough to do that.. you usually toast the engine. But stranger things have happened.. and its a easy check. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Shades

Post by Shades »

Do a compression check... I'm sure you'll find that you've blown your head gastket.

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

I get so much conflicting info it isn't even funny. Haha. I was going to get an oil change but a couple people I know (not on the board) said not to, and same with the sparkplug thing, because I had gotten my oil changed not even 4 days before the overheating incident, and the plugs changed 2 months ago.

But you know what? I'm going with what you guys say because you haven't failed me yet!! :P

I was reading the online shop manual though and alot of my symptoms pointed to the head gasket- so I'll get a compression test if it doesn't cost a whole lot.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!!
Shades

Post by Shades »

I an automotive machinist... I can tell you when you overheat your head, you most likely warp it, and warp it enough to blow the gasket.

tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Alright, so I had my car checked out. He looked at it for a good hour. Basicly, he said that my engine is fine, that it's running well. He said all my motor mounts are bad, which is causing alot of that vibration. He said that's all he could find that was wrong with it. He adjusted the idle to where it should be, and also adjusted my timing belt, because I guess it was too advanced (?), and man, what a difference that made. My car runs quieter than ever before. So when I get more money, I'm going to have the mounts replaced, and then go from there. He said that otherwise my engine looks good, and that I didn't do any damage to the gasket. So we'll see what happens after the mounts.

Thanks for the help guys.
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

:D

Hey Twisted Clown!

Glad to hear you didnt have the dreaded Head Gasket problem on your MX-3.
Happy it's running better too.
Goodluck cruising!

Thunderstorm.

:D
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Thanks Thunderstorm! :P

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”