a/c causing idle?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
blkmx3_v6

a/c causing idle?

Post by blkmx3_v6 »

ok, i recently had my a/c recharged and thought this would have resolved the problem but it hasn't. when i turn the a/c on it works yet i can hear a weird noise and the car appears to jolt. apparently the a/c is adding a load which just makes the problem more apparent. when the a/c is off, the jolts are not as apparent if at all. the car has no problems starting but when i change gears it seems the car's exaust makes a rattle and then sounds smooth. one tech told me he thinks it might be the spark plugs? they were changed last about 3 years ago. i also have an aftermarket cold air intake that hasn't be cleaned out over a year. any ideas?
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Try removing a spark plug and checking the color. This will give you a indication of the condition. But spark plugs are fairly cheap, so I would replace them anyway. Clean your airfilter also as suggested. That should help your car run smoother with some regular care.

The a/c does add a load to the engine when turned on, that would be the surge in power.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Could your "weird noise" be a drivebelt squealing a bit with the extra load of the a/c on? Pretty common if that describes the noise. Belts might needs to be checked and adjusted for correct tension. e.g. If the load is heavy enough on a too-loose alt belt, that could also cause the "jolt".
Image -Jim

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”