which spark plug?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

im running 14 psi on my v-14
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
jordy

Post by jordy »

That's more like it :o Any differences that you aware of between the VJ-12 and the VJ-14? And what's the max amount of HP that i can push out of a B6T whitout upgrading the internals?
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

it mainly depends on the tuning.
What year is your b6t from?
Is it from a 323 or a capri? The capris used the miats rods so id say 250 Safe HP. Though people have pushed upwards of 300 i say 250 is nice and safe. Though the 323's were beefier by alot so 300 should be easily capable.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

jordy

Post by jordy »

250 hp sounds nice, don't know if i'll ever gonna make it though. 300 hp will cost me too much cash i think, so if it can handle 250 hp safely i'll be a happy man :lol: Thanx for your reply's :wink:
jordy

Post by jordy »

But can i use the BKR6E-11 NGK spark plug running stock boost on my B6T. And do you notice the difference when your using the Denso Irdiums?
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

ok what plug should i use on my b6t if im gonna run about 12 lbs of boost? i have ngk iridiums from me b6de will those work or do i hafta go to a different plug?
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
facko

Post by facko »

im guessin ud want to get one step colder from w/e the b6t stock plugs are
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

can someone with a B6T plz tell me what the spark plug number they are using is because ive been looking for a step colder and well i cant find any and if i had the number it would help me out ALOT so plz let me know
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Personally I just run the NGK V-Power spark plugs gapped to .032" and recommend changing them every 3K-5K miles depending on the plugs condition (visual inspection).

Get the stock heat range plug or one step colder for a 88 Mazda 323 GTX
If you run conservative timing advance or throw enough fuel to it then you usually don't need to run colder than the stock heat range. If you want to get technical you'ld have to start monitoring EGT's, AFR's, RPM, and keep visually checking the plugs to see how things are combusting. Basically if you can't keep your EGT's under control with fuel tuning then you need to consider running colder plugs. I have yet to need to do so and our daily driven BP sleeper is making around 230WHP. My drag car will probably need a few steps colder due to the insane cyl. pressures I'm going to throw at it with pump gas on the street and C16 on the track. I'll probably run hotter plugs on the street for driveability and gas mileage from more conservative timing maps and less boost pressure.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

In my experience just run a step colder plug.
I had stock heatrange plugs in my car for about 10 minutes and It backfired like a motherfucker/ran like a--.
im only running 12* at the disty and my afr are no higher than 12.3.
Though i know JW has more expertise, Im just relaying my experiences.

Though my question is Why with only 12* of timing. Ive read up on some honda setups and there running upwards of 18* of timing with A good amount of boost.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

so i dont hafta go 1 step colder cuz im getting an air fuel ratio gauge and well im gonna be running advanced timing but im not sure how much and well see me and the parts guy were at the counter for like half an hour trying to find a plug thats 1 step colder and well we couldnt find 1 and he said if i could ask some1 for the number off of the plugs that they have in there engine it would help us out ALOT and make it alot easier. so if some1 could just tell me the number off of the plugs thatd be great unless i dont hafta go a step colder so i just really need to know cuz i plan on running 12 psi so if some1 couldhelp me out thanks. sorry if im being a pain.... i just wanna get the car going again its been almost 2 weeks already and i miss her......... :(
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

I run bkr7e-11's in my bpt. I had a problem with the spark being blown out at 15 psi so I gapped them to .030 and it was fine. What you have to do is take the car for a good run then check the plug.. You can look at the very tip of it and see how good the heat is on it.. It should be a slightly different color right across the top until it reaches the turn then stop. If its just barely there then the plug is too cold and if the whole thing looks discolored then its too hot. I use 7's though... Just to be safe.. its all the same price anyway and my plugs look perfect.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

hey thanks alot i ll go there tonight and give him the number
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

bkr7es-11 get the coldest plug possible... ONE step colder is just a little better than the stock, the 7 series is the colderst ngk makes which would be the best plug for your engine

Return to “Forced Induction”