Temperature Sensors - Tell Me Experts

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Paylrider

Temperature Sensors - Tell Me Experts

Post by Paylrider »

I switched a 92 K-8 for a 95 K8 this weekend, when I was hooking all the sensors back up, there was one missing, on the 95 K-8 there was only one probe in the top of the engine, while the 92 had 2. The wires are the same colour for both on the 92, however the plugs are not interchangeable, now my temperature guage does not work. I am thinking that by 95 they realised that two probes 2 inches apart was overkill and just went with one. I am also thinking that if I splice my temperature sensor wires into the identical probe both will work. any comments suggestions?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

normally one clt sensor is to trigger the fan.. May people have the same problem with their ze where there is only one clt sensor. Normally what people do is they tap the other sensor in the neck where there used to have it
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Paylrider

Post by Paylrider »

Is that not a bit risky? how difficult would that be if a machine shop did it, also would splicing work??
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

also would splicing work??
No
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Paylrider

Post by Paylrider »

Is it not risky or does splicing not work? why does the 95 engine have only one.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Fred, tried calling your number - no answer. Since you have both engines and the wiring take the coolant filler neck with the 2 thermosensors off the old engine and plant it on the new. No tapping required. ECU, temp guage and fan will never know the difference. I'm assuming your talking about the green and black thermosensors that are almost beside each other on the cast filler neck.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

jschrauwen wrote:take the coolant filler neck with the 2 thermosensors off the old engine and plant it on the new. No tapping required.
John, his new engine doesn't have the hole for the second sensor. Therefore, he has to tap the hole in the filler neck for the second sensor like people do on their ze's. Maybe I didn't read right.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Paylrider

Post by Paylrider »

Thanks for the input, I think ripping the entire engine apart again just for the pre-drilled hole is to much work, I was thinking I would go to the engine re-builders in Trenton and get them to tap a new hole, they do it all the time, so it should not be a problem. If they screw it up, then the big job
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

1 - 13/32's drill bit $4
1 - m12X1.5 tap $7

Your problem solved = priceless

You don't even need to drain your coolant to do this, just pull the hose and stick a vacuum in there while drilling to suck out all the filings.

There should be a good meaty spot to drill thru.... make sure step up the bits using a couple smaller ones before the big one.

And when you tap it make sure the tap is STRAIGHT or you will be in a world of hurt.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

do not tap it with the neck on the car, you are destined to leave some metal in the filler neck which will clog coolant passages and then the motor will overheat and you won't be able to unclog it. Answer then is to buy an new motor. So do the right thing and just swap the filler necks. It is the easiest and best way...period, no short cut answer here.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”