BPT TPS 3 wire, 4 wire HELP

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Cpl_Bryant

BPT TPS 3 wire, 4 wire HELP

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

I am swapping the BPT into my 93 SOHC. I know this has been touched on in other posts, but the answer I need is not there. The sensors themselves are both different as far as how they connect to the throttle body. So using the MX-3 TPS on the BPT throttle body will not work. What can I do?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Well, I ended up splicing the BPT plug into the MX-3 wiring and leaving out the 4th wire. They all matched colors except the one I left out. I was looking at the online manual (which is for the 95 DOHC, not my 93 SOHC) and it has the 4 wire setup there too, so I think it will work out. Anyone else run into this problem?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

which had what wires? i know when i went to swap the TPS from my 92 mx3, to my other 92 mx3 there was an issue because one was an auto and one was a manual. and one had 3 wires and one had for... i dont remeber which had what tho. so im assuming either you have an auto, or the motor was pulled from an auto... idk but i would think thats where your issue is, you can grab one from a parts store for what you need there kinda expencive tho.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Hey dude.. I did that changeover too... The wire youre leaving not plugged in needs to have 5 volts going to it from the ecu.. All you need to do is attach a piece of wire to that and run it into the ecu... Then simply attach it on to the wire going to terminal 2k.. its the same color and everything (green with red stripe) so you cant miss it. That should get you hooked up..

also.. If you are using the gtx ecu... youre signal wire is going to the wrong place.. where its going is a dead spot on the ecu so its really doing nothing then.. You need to cut off the wire going to terminal 2L (green with white) and attach it to terminal 2M (black wire I believe) then youll have the signal going to the proper place..
Hope this helps. Support my site :wink:
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Franko wrote: The wire youre leaving not plugged in needs to have 5 volts going to it from the ecu.. All you need to do is attach a piece of wire to that and run it into the ecu... Then simply attach it on to the wire going to terminal 2k.. its the same color and everything (green with red stripe) so you cant miss it.
I am still using the '93 MX-3 SOHC wiring harness, I don't see that wire coming out of the ECU plug. When I try to hold the throttle at a certain point (around 2200 RPM), the RPMs jump up and down between 2000 and 2500. Is that wire part of this problem? I can still rev all the way up, that just happens when I try to keep it steady at 2200 or so.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

The wire is there you just have to attach onto it...

This is the way your harness is on the ecu.. You have to attach it to where Ive highlighted it blue on the bigger plug. This is the 5v source.. Remember, dont cut it off because your airflow meter needs 5 volts too..

I had that rpm problem too.. first of all, hook up that wire.. then you need to ajust your tps properly.

You can get how to do this off my site HERE You may have to register and log in before you can see it.. it might say the topic dosent exist but it does.. you just have to be logged in.

Let me know if this helps..
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Okay so I spliced the wires you said to Franko. Including the signal wire. And that black wire was so small I couldn't even use my wire stripper on it. Anyway, now I am still having the same RPM problem. At around 2400 RPM, the engine starts jumping back and forth between 2400 and 1900. Now I also do not have the turbo in the mix yet. I am just running it as if it were a non turbo BP. Could that have something to do with the turbo spooling up or something like that.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

sounds like you have the TPS out of adjustment.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Yep the black wire is a little guy allright but it gets the job done. Youre on the right track buddy.

Now your tps is out of ajustment.. exact same thing happened to me.. Go to the page I linked to, I wrote up directions on how to ajust it properly. :P
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Still waiting for my email to activate my username on your forum...
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

You should have gotten it instantly... Can you try again?
Shades

Post by Shades »

Ok, so the wire that you left out is suppose to have 5V's going to it from the ECU.

Where does the other end go to?

Also what did it control on the B6?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Franko wrote:You should have gotten it instantly... Can you try again?
Yeah, frickin AOL decided it was spam and automatically put it in the spam folder. I activated it so I'm good now. Thanks again.
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Shades wrote:Ok, so the wire that you left out is suppose to have 5V's going to it from the ECU.

Where does the other end go to?

Also what did it control on the B6?
That's just it, it wasn't on the B6. The B6 TPS has only 3 wires and the BPT TPS has 4 (thus the title of the thread). So that 4th wire in question needs 5V from the ECU so another wire needs to be ran from the TPS to the ECU.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the extra wire allows the TPS to sense how much the throttle is open rather than just open or not open. If you look at the wiring diagram on MX-3.com's online manual for the 95 MX-3, it appears to have the same 4 wire setup. There is a resistor in the mix there that I assume allows that to happen.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Its variable on the automatic proteges because it needs to know when to change gears and such.
The 92-93 mx3 it only saw a different reading at full throttle.. The rest of the time it just thought the throttle was at zero.. No wonder it only makes 65 hp..

Anyone who has hooked up an safc to the 92-93 mx3 knows that it is either 0 or 100% and never inbetween.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”