How do I check to see if my coolant is flowing properly?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Chiggles

How do I check to see if my coolant is flowing properly?

Post by Chiggles »

Just over 2 months ago, I had accidentally over-topped the coolant in my reservoir by around an inch and a half above the "full" line on the reservoir. I figured the fluid level would drop to a normal level eventually cuz it dropped to the "low" line before - that's why I was refilling the reservoir in the first place. Only now, 2 months later, the level hasn't dropped at all. :?

I wonder... does this have anything to do with me pulling out that "straw" that's mounted under the reservoir cap? I had taken it out to refill the reservoir in the first place cuz I couldn't get the funnel I was using to sit properly with it on there, but of course I put it back in when put the cap back on. Could there be some sort of air bubble clogging my flow?

How do I check it? :dunno:
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

How would air clog your coolant flow? Air is less dense than water. :?
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

if your car isnt over heating your fine
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

I don't believe, it's overheating, no. But then, how come the fluid level in my coolant reservoir never moves now???
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

are checking it when its hot or cold and always when its hot or cold?
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

papa roached wrote:are checking it when its hot or cold and always when its hot or cold?
....What?! :? .....If I get what I think you mean, I haven't really looked at the reservoir in the last 2 months until now and realized that my level hasn't dropped at all. You can't be suggesting that it's normal to have absolutely NO consumption/loss of coolant at all, are you?

Anyone, please tell me how to check coolant flow continuity. If having overfilled the reservoir in the first place is a cause for harming the continuity, at least confirm that for me so that I know buy some sort of pump to get the excess fluid out of my reservoir.
Invisible

Post by Invisible »

If your that worried about it, drain it all and refill it. You would know if your coolant wasen't flowing properly believe me. Overfilling it by an inch won't hurt it either. So just sit down, relax and then get up, buy some antifreeze and go to work. Also don't toss old antifreeze on your lawn or anything, animals love it and its toxic ^^ :roll:
Invisible
93 GS Tropical Emerald Metallic MTX 1.8L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

it's normal to have absolutely NO consumption/loss of coolant at all
Thats right - none at all
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Grants wrote:
Why did it drop before then? I had it within "full" and "low" when I had it changed in November, then 6 months later I noticed it was past "low" so that's why I re-topped. :dunno:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Chiggles wrote:
Grants wrote:
Why did it drop before then? I had it within "full" and "low" when I had it changed in November, then 6 months later I noticed it was past "low" so that's why I re-topped. :dunno:
Who knows. Maybe there was a small bubble in it after the change and it worked its way out and got replaced by coolant from the resivoir? I've never had coolant consumption on any car ........... except my MX3. :lol: But that's because I keep dicking with stuff and replacing coolant, changing coolant hoses, and broken water pump. When it's running right though, there should be no consumption at all.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I agree with Grants.. you should have no coolant loss in a cooling system that is functioning normally. Coolant loss only occurs if you have a leak somewhere.. headgasket, waterpump, radiator, etc..

If your heater is pumping out warm air.. your cooling system is flowing properly and is a easy indicator that you have coolant in the system and that your water pump is moving the coolant. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Tunes67 wrote:I agree with Grants.. you should have no coolant loss in a cooling system that is functioning normally. Coolant loss only occurs if you have a leak somewhere.. headgasket, waterpump, radiator, etc..

If your heater is pumping out warm air.. your cooling system is flowing properly and is a easy indicator that you have coolant in the system and that your water pump is moving the coolant. Cheers

Tunes67
Tunes comes through once again. Thanks, man. That's exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for. Concise and reassuring. :2thumbsup:
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Chiggles wrote:
Tunes67 wrote:I agree with Grants.. you should have no coolant loss in a cooling system that is functioning normally. Coolant loss only occurs if you have a leak somewhere.. headgasket, waterpump, radiator, etc..

Tunes67
Tunes comes through once again. Thanks, man. That's exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for. Concise and reassuring. :2thumbsup:
I'm glad you think his answer so pleasing. Next time I won't bother answering any questions you may have.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Grants wrote:
Chiggles wrote:

Tunes67
I'm glad you think his answer so pleasing. Next time I won't bother answering any questions you may have.
Sorry, Grants, wasn't trying to say that your answer wasn't helpful. It was just good to know HOW COME it's okay. Like I had mentioned earlier, I didn't know how to tell whether or not things were copasetic as they were - I'm just a stupid newb. :oops: . You've been helpful and informative in your responses to other posts I've made before so I still very much value your opinions. Please accept my sincerest apologies if I've offended you by not giving you credit where credit was due. I look forward to getting more advice from you as well in the future. If you weren't so far away, I'd buy you a beer. :wink:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”