oem intake diaphram

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BornSticky

oem intake diaphram

Post by BornSticky »

Inside my intake I have a plasit diaphram thing that moves when the engine is reved, when it is idling I push the diaphram back and it stalls. Is it supposed to do this??
If I install a cai will i still need the diaphram to prevent it from stalling or is it something to do with my ecu like reseting it when i put th new intake in?
The cai is supposed to give me more hp and better gas milage right ?
Also if I take my oil cap off when its running it stalls is it supposed to do this?

Sorry for all the questions but I've never owned a car that stalls from things like these.....
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

sounds like the diaphram you are referring to is your VAF. That's the air meter the KL engines came with. You're pretty much stuck with it without going stand alone or megasquirt.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yah actually just drill holes in it see how that works:)

:twisted:
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: oem intake diaphram

Post by neutral »

Inside my intake I have a plasit diaphram thing that moves when the engine is reved, when it is idling I push the diaphram back and it stalls. Is it supposed to do this?
Yes. Sounds like you're describing the Volume Airflow Sensor (VAF). It stalls at idle when ya open the flap because you're increasing air intake without increasing fuel intake = stall.

If I install a cai will i still need the diaphram to prevent it from stalling or is it something to do with my ecu like reseting it when i put th new intake in?
You'll still need it. The CAI increases the air intake capability but ya still need to have your engine sensing that air intake stream and adjusting automatically to match fuel rate.

The cai is supposed to give me more hp and better gas milage right?
Maybe a couple ponies but more like an increase in throttle responsiveness and a nice powerband seat-of-the-pants increase, especially from 2000+ rpm to 4500 rpm. Mileage basically unchanged although if your driving habits change to punch the throttle a bit to take advantage of the mod, mileage could decrease a bit.

Also if I take my oil cap off when its running it stalls is it supposed to do this?
Yes.

Sorry for all the questions but I've never owned a car that stalls from things like these.....
Try this link for some great engine tutorials. Clearly explained with animated illustration. Still use it myself sometimes. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Image -Jim
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

thanx so much for your info and for replying extremely fast
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”