found something very strange out

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
95 rs

found something very strange out

Post by 95 rs »

ok i have 95 rs and well most of you say its OBD II and the SAFC II wont work on it but i must say u guys are wrong! my ecu is OBD I and im sure SAFC II will work on my ecu and well i know that i have OBD I because i dont have the universal plug in that ALL OBD II ecus come with i have some like square connector that is under the hood and when i took it to work to read the codes on it i couldnt use Genysis which is made for all OBD II vehicles i had to use the old scan tool with the many different connections
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

From what I have read here.. not all 95's were OBDII.. depends on the build date.. 96's were supposed to be all OBDII but.. apparently the 95's and 96's could have been built at two seperate locations.. soooo.. its possible that not even all the 96's came as OBDII. I have even seen a couple of claims of 94 cars being OBDII. Its pretty much a case by case thing apparently.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

My 95 RS is OBD1 and thought that all MX-3's thru 95 were as well. OBD2 being > '96. Last year was talking w/IanL re his 96 GS (UK car) and we were sure his was OBD2. Ian bought a '96 MX-3 Shop Manual off ebay (rare holy grail find) after verifying that it was for OBD2 and then finds his car didn't match up with the shop manual. His '96 GS was actually OBD1. :shock: I think US required the mandatory change to OBD2 with all cars > '96 models but maybe Mazda didn't change over in (some) non-US mkts? If the switch to OBD2 included part of the '95 model yr, weird not to have seen any Mazda documentation speaking to that and giving affected VIN ranges for OBD1 vs OBD2 for the 95's. Or maybe the documentation is out there and I missed it.
Image -Jim
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

so the SAFC II should work on the obd I
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

Isnt the OBDII connector in the car under the dash?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I doubt that Mazda would release that they were selling OBDI cars that were suppose to have been fitted with the newer OBDII system. Even if it wasn't mandated in other markets it would have been a sign that they were behind and not as concious of the enviornment. You might argue that OBDII is not really that much better with emisions, but why risk an envoirment group making a fuss if it were not necessary.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

Post by Dominicanchu_Nmbr1 »

poor poor tree huggers... if they only knew... can a obd II be popped into a model that originally had obd I? if so, besides emissions, what advantages, if any, would there be?
-=[Irving A.]=-
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

95 rs wrote:so the SAFC II should work on the obd I
Yes!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

I know my 96 rs is obd1. Had techs who wanted to test out obd2 equipment on cars tried to on mine. No obd2
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

BTW.. every MX-3 was made @ the same plant. All cars using the ISO standard are OBDII - for 96+ cars. Some 95's may be if they were assembled late in the production year. Remember, you can buy a 2006 model in 2005 @ the end of the year :) so the cars are produced some time before they designated year.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

if they use safc II's on skylines Im pretty sure it will work on a mx3 :P
Besides.. I know people using an safc on obd2 engines..
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I think all this ODB talk is for the US only... since my car being a '96 doesn't have ODBII.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”