Newbee needs help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
gonzoid

Newbee needs help

Post by gonzoid »

I have been searching for info on this awesome site for a couple days now ,found some info and links,TSB reguarding my problem.I still need some direction from one of you experts that do this all the time,I have noticed some on here that seem to do just that.1993 MX3 K8 130K,I just bought it for a good price because of the noise.Start it up and when the idle settles in (4 seconds)The dam thing sounds like a tractor,bring it up a few hunderd RPMs and it goes away,running warm it does the same thing,clatters like a diesel at idle consistantly.I ran sea foam thru the purge control vac source per instructions,no change,changed the oil used good stuff and a good filter.To me the noise sounds like a loose or worn tensioner,I pulled the timing belt off and all the pulleys are fine,belt is in good shape.From what I have read it could be bad lifters,needs friction gear spring or..............?I would appreciate anyones help or advise or suggestions before I tear into it anymore.Thanks :roll:
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Either a collasped HLA or a FGS. What bank is it coming from? Now that I think about it it is probably a FGS.
65 shot > V8
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

http://www.mx-3.com/tsb/b007-95.gif

wurd my newbay

AKA LIFTER TICK, there have been several debates on how harmful or not this is to ur engine.

it is a common problem, search up HLA i'm sure u'll find it

personally i was told by a mechanic that it isnt too harmful itsjust noise but to get it fixed eventually to prolong life of the engine
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
gonzoid

Post by gonzoid »

sounds more like rear band passenger side,So you can have 1 bad HLA and have that racket? I already read the TSB's just want to get a better feel before tearing off the intake.One more thing,anyone have a pic of a FGS? I gather it is an after thought added on not something that is put on at the factory??????Thanks!
gonzoid

Post by gonzoid »

One more thing that is confusing,I heard book time to do a timing belt is about 4HRs. And on that TSB it said 4.0HRs to do a FGS.Why is that? seems it would be a lot more than 4hrs for the FGS,what gives?THANKS
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

4 hours for a pro., but more like 4-6 for an average joe. I'd bet on FGS, but HLAs are notorious for ticking too, so you really need to ask a mechanic to listen to it and tell you which it is and then fix it yourself. HLAs will tick at all RPMs and FGS will tick more tword idle and less in higher RPMs where the torque of the motor is pressing the gears together harder. So that from what you have said I'd bet on FGS.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
gonzoid

Post by gonzoid »

PATDIESEL wrote:4 hours for a pro., but more like 4-6 for an average joe. I'd bet on FGS, but HLAs are notorious for ticking too, so you really need to ask a mechanic to listen to it and tell you which it is and then fix it yourself. HLAs will tick at all RPMs and FGS will tick more tword idle and less in higher RPMs where the torque of the motor is pressing the gears together harder. So that from what you have said I'd bet on FGS.

Thats is the kind of description I was looking for,its noisy at idle cold and warm.Is the P/N KLY1 12417 FGS a ford or Mazda part #?.I had the timing belt off in 1.5 hrs,going back should go quicker.Seems flat rate should be 4.0 fot the T belt and 4.0 for the FGS removing the intake and cams.What am i not understanding?Is the FGS an after thought addition?THANKS to all!,the noise is loudest from the rear head pass. side.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”