Post count required to sell on buy/sell forum

This forum is for your (the user and visitors of MX-3.com) opinion, recommendations and issues about MX-3.com.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post count required to sell on buy/sell forum

Post by Tunes67 »

I personally find it annoying to get spammers on the site that post useless crap to reach a post count of 30 just so they can sell stuff. My suggestion is to raise that post count to 250. I realize there are newer members that dont post a lot that may wish to sell.. but usually by the time that occurs they have made contact with other regular members and could always request that either a fellow member or mod or admin make a post for them. Just my opinion.. but if the post count required to sell were even higher.. it might discourage the spammers a bit more just to sell on the forums. I would rather have a relative new member ask me in a PM if I would post up a item for sale for them than have to see the tons of spam posted to sell something.. just a thought.. ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I think it should be raised to 251.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Do I hear 252??? Going...
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Image -Jim
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

300! We have 300! Can we have 305 anyone? Seems low to me! Anyone? Going once at 300...
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

SOLD TO NEUTRAL
- = for 300 = -
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

:shock: I won! I won! :froggie_red: :2thumbsup: Uhh... might be spending to much time on ebay... :confused2:
Image -Jim
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

neutral wrote::shock: I won! I won! :froggie_red: :2thumbsup: Uhh... might be spending to much time on ebay... :confused2:
Oh, and shipping will cost you a further 120000000000 posts... :P
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

Sorry no refunds excepted...Except on fake posts.
ups tracking number
93mxKLZEr18/205
but on an actuall note. I think we should implemnt something but not by how many post...ex: you have to have been a member for atleast 3 months befor u can post...and once u have been a member for 3 months u get a cool pic on a mx-3 beside your name or somthing....That way it stops spammers and if someone wants to sell something they have to wait 3 months :P and i dont think they will.
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

that's a good idea to but scammers would just have to create a login wait 3 months then cause all kinds of hell if someone wants to scam bad enough they will wait, or if they do it all the time 3 months is no big deal to get on the forum. I think the post count would work better
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

I think 250 posts in order to sell is a wee bit high, I mean it took me forever to get to that and I'm on here atleast 5 days a week. We aren't all post whores like you Tunes... :wink:

I've never bought or sold anything on here though, so I don't know how big a problem scammers are here, but I think 100 posts in order to sell/buy is a better number. Not too big, not too small.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I guess trying to help folks gets one labeled as a post whore pretty easily. I realize that no one is intending offense with the term.. but I do find it a bit derogatory when the vast majority of my posts are intended only to help. Since even the newest members can send private messages, I dont think its a big deal to raise the limit of posts required to sell.. 30 is to low.. it has already been shown by more than a couple of people that just spam up a post count just so they can sell on the site. Maybe 250 is to high.. but newer members that want to sell can always watch the forum and send a PM to someone that posts a [WTB] if they have the item available for sale. The reason I picked the 250 count figure is because, even with a broadband internet connection.. it would take a couple of hours to spam that many posts. This would make it a time consuming process and I doubt many would bother with it.

Maybe a better solution, if possible, would be a post limit. Even folks that post a lot, rarely exceed more than 10 posts per hour. Heck my average according to my profile is slightly more than 10 posts per day. Maybe there is a way to limit the number of post submissions within a specified time frame.. I cant say.. I am not familiar with HTML or other web coding (programming gives me a headache LOL) But that could also offer up a good deterrant to post spammers and then the 30 count wouldnt need to be changed at all. Say if someone posts 5-10 times in less than a 5 minute time period that they are cut off for a day.

I cant speak for others.. but since I have such a reptuation for posting a lot.. I can say that even when I am answering a lot of posts.. I cant post up that fast.. only someone typing in short posts deliberately could manage to hit that kind of barrier. Just a thought.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

I like the idea of of a waiting period. say a "3 month grace period" where you have to wait that long to post in the buy/sell forum. I really dont think spammers will want to wait 3 whole months to post if they are in a rush already. If thats a problem then just have a waiting period and minimum of 100 posts....just an idea.

Also, like Tunes said, I wouldnt really count helping people as being a post whore. I dont think twisted ment it as a insault though because the majority of your posts have been helpful 8)

The idea of limiting your number of posts per day would be a bad idea. For example: I'm in need of emergency assistance, and lets say I post to get help and Tunes responds. So as I tell him my problems, he gives me advice of what things to try next, and we post back and forth. Now it would really be stupid if we got all this progress done and almost figured it out, then one or both of us were stopped cause we were over the limit and I'm left to dangle and scratch my head....lol

my thoughts anyways..
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The idea of limiting your number of posts per day would be a bad idea. For example: I'm in need of emergency assistance, and lets say I post to get help and Tunes responds. So as I tell him my problems, he gives me advice of what things to try next, and we post back and forth. Now it would really be stupid if we got all this progress done and almost figured it out, then one or both of us were stopped cause we were over the limit and I'm left to dangle and scratch my head....lol
Thats not what I meant.. Not a overall post per day limit.. but a "Trigger" if you will.. that would kick in, in the event that a person posted more often than say 5-10 posts in less than 5 minute period of time. If they trip the trigger, then they couldnt post again for a 24 hour period of time. This is what spammers are doing to reach the 30 post count so they can sell stuff. I am not saying everyone that does that is a scammer, but they are definately spammers ;) The trigger wouldnt work on normal postings.. only ones made rapidly. And if we were conversing back and forth as such.. there is no way we could trip that trigger.. just stopping to read each others first couple of posts would take longer than 5 minutes :) And even if we did somehow manage to trip the trigger.. it could be made where it wouldnt affect private messages anyway :)

Its all speculation.. I dont how it would be coded.. there is probably a way to do it.. but is it worth the hassle to bother with? That is up to Jeff to decide. All I am pointing out is that there are spammers that have found an annoying way to defeat the purpose of the 30 post limit.

Tunes67

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

How about a combo 30post/3 month limit, best of both worlds, so new users who just register don't spam the hell out of the board to be able to sell, but still have to be somewhat active onthe board, just in case they do decide to wait the 3 months, and someone with 2 posts decide to try to sell something, 30 posts will ensure that it's a good person. May even 50 posts at most, but tripple digit posts are alot for newbies, unless their a spammer.

One side suggestion tho is to apply the same rules to the "Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum", even tho newbies obviously can't read the obvious and post for sale items in there, they seem to post in there as a second resort cause they can't post in the "MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade", and since they're not allowed to Buy/Sell, they should have no reason to be in the Feedback forum anywho.

I don't know what it says if someone with <30 posts tries to sell, but I hope it says bluntly and in bolt letters "Due to potential scammers, users are not allowed to buy/sell items until they have at least 30 posts, etc...". My guess is that it shows some basic forum rejection message so they move on to another section, if you say to them directly that their not allow to buy/sell when trying to post in that forum, instead of saying that their just not allowed to post in there, they'll get the hint instead of moving on to another forum they can post in, unless their really stubborn/stupid, but those would be even harder to eliminate.

Holly bejezus! I'm almost at 3000! :shock:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “MX-3.com Site and Forum Recommendations and Issues”