cleaning wheels

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

cleaning wheels

Post by mitmaks »

what do you use to clean your wheels esp ones that are stubborn like with texture on them? Ive used Meguiar's "all wheel cleaner' in purple spray bottle and it didnt really work super nice.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

try and find a metal and chrome cleaner/polish. those seem to work best.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

P21S cleaner. Seems like it's one-of-a-kind European patented product. Kinda expensive as cleaners go but never found anything that comes even close to this stuff for effectiveness and it will NOT damage your wheel finish, especially where any clearcoat might be worn away and no matter how long ya leave the stuff on. Most cleaners are pretty acidic and will corrode any wheel sections where the clearcoat is bad. I'd heard of this P21S stuff but no one on the UK forum was familiar with it. Bought some and was not disappointed.

Used it on a set of '92 929 wheels that were silver painted/clearcoat triple-diamond-spoke style with dozens of nooks 'n crannies. These wheels had been stored exposed outside for years & were practically black with grime and years of brake dust baked on. P21S brought em back to beautiful condition. Now I won't use anything else for the tough wheel cleaning jobs. Here's a link. http://www.properautocare.com/p2wheelclean.html My .02.
Image -Jim
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

Post by Dominicanchu_Nmbr1 »

Formula 2001 always works for me! spray on, and walk away.
-=[Irving A.]=-
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

That's good to hear but surprising. The Turtlewax 2001 cleaner seems to have a lot of pretty negative reviews re damaging the clearcoat... http://www.carreview.com/mfr/turtle-wax ... px#reviews :shock:
Image -Jim
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

Formula 2001 is made by turtle wax?
-=[Irving A.]=-
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

just read the reviews. oh well. i follow the directions, and then give the wheels a wipe down afterwards. never messed up my wheels, and i've been using it for almost a year now. i guess some people use it the wrong way or have crappy wheels?
-=[Irving A.]=-
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

I use that Formula 2001 stuff. Have been using it for a little over a year now, and I wash my car atleast once every 2 weeks- if not once a week. Used it on 2 different cars, my old car and now on my MX-3, and haven't had any problems with it. Seems to work pretty good. The key is to just let it sit a little while.
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

exactly! i just think that some of those people who gave bad reviews either over did it, or just don't know what they were doing. I feel better nowing someone else likes it too. :2thumbsup:
-=[Irving A.]=-
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

Probably disgruntled mini-van drivers... pissed off over the fact they have to drive a bus to cart the kids/dogs/grocries around in.

Anything they use to clean the van isn't good enough because it doesn't magicaly turn the van into a nice sports car...

Good theory, no?
Dominicanchu_Nmbr1

LOL!!! happens to me every time i wash my Toyota Previa!
-=[Irving A.]=-
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

some of that brake dust buildup won't come off by just spraying crap on it.

you need to use a steel brush or steel wool and scrub it off. If you don't scrub in one spot too long it won't cause any abrasions or patterns to form on the wheel & it'll get rid of the crappy brakedust

Before:

After:
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Appearance”