Shop Manual

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
insanerino

Shop Manual

Post by insanerino »

Got another question for yas! Where can I find a shop manual like the one on mx-3.com? I want a hard copy of it before I go through with the KLZE swap.

Thanks
Randy
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

start looking @ ebay.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Factory manuals come up on ebay fairly frequently and books4cars usually has one in stock. Books4cars isn't listing one right now but check their site regularly or call the 888 # on their site and they might notify you when one comes available. http://www.books4cars.com/result1.htm?f ... Field.y=61
Image -Jim
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

The ones on Books4cars... are they comparable to the Chilton's or Hayne's manuals??

EDIT: Also, the online version that we use here is missing the Body Electrical Troubleshooting section. Will the shop service manual that Books4cars carry retain this section, or will I need to get the supplementary Wiring Diagram service manual that they have for that??
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Chiggles wrote:The ones on Books4cars... are they comparable to the Chilton's or Hayne's manuals??
EDIT: Also, the online version that we use here is missing the Body Electrical Troubleshooting section. Will the shop service manual that Books4cars carry retain this section, or will I need to get the supplementary Wiring Diagram service manual that they have for that??
If listed as "Shop Manual" it's the official Mazda factory shop manual that Mazda/dealer mechanics use and is way more in-depth than either Chiltons/Haynes. C/H manuals cost <$20, cover a range of dif but related car models and model-years, and are ~200 pages.

The Shop Manual is 1000+ pages, is strictly for the MX-3, specifically covers one model year, & includes detailed info on the 4 cyl & 6 cyl models that year. A used Shop Manual typically runs ~$50 USD. IMO C/H manuals are somewhat useful but only when ya can't readily obtain the Shop Manual.

The Shop Manual does not include the Body Electrical Troubleshooting section which is a separate supplemental book that runs 200+ pages. BET includes wiring diagrams and detailed info on non-engine related elec. systems troubleshooting. The Wiring Diagram manual is just that; ~40-50 pages of "foldout" 11"x17" oversized wiring diagrams but without the body elec. troubleshooting info. It's nice to have for the lg. size and has some color highlighting to system drawings (but no color to the actual schematic diagrams) but not really necessary to buy if you already have the BET.
Image -Jim
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

I actually called my local Mazda dealer and they said that they could special order one for me. You might try it. :)
-Eric
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

rccardude04 wrote:I actually called my local Mazda dealer and they said that they could special order one for me. You might try it. :)
-Eric
and did they tell you a price?
thats the part you may not want to hear.
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

neutral wrote:
Chiggles wrote:The ones on Books4cars... are they comparable to the Chilton's or Hayne's manuals??
If listed as "Shop Manual" it's the official Mazda factory shop manual that Mazda/dealer mechanics use and is way more in-depth than either Chiltons/Haynes. C/H manuals cost <$20, cover a range of dif but related car models and model-years, and are ~200 pages.

The Shop Manual is 1000+ pages, is strictly for the MX-3, specifically covers one model year, & includes detailed info on the 4 cyl & 6 cyl models that year. A used Shop Manual typically runs ~$50 USD. IMO C/H manuals are somewhat useful but only when ya can't readily obtain the Shop Manual.

The Shop Manual does not include the Body Electrical Troubleshooting section which is a separate supplemental book that runs 200+ pages. BET includes wiring diagrams and detailed info on non-engine related elec. systems troubleshooting. The Wiring Diagram manual is just that; ~40-50 pages of "foldout" 11"x17" oversized wiring diagrams but without the body elec. troubleshooting info. It's nice to have for the lg. size and has some color highlighting to system drawings (but no color to the actual schematic diagrams) but not really necessary to buy if you already have the BET.
Thanks a lot, Neutral! That's exactly the kind of concise answer I was looking for. :D That said, if I'm looking for the BET, where can I get one?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Keep an eye on ebay. I got my BET for $10 on ebay last summer and see one listed every several weeks it seems. Books4Cars also has had the BET show up on their listings regularly, and factoryautomanuals.com at the link below regularly lists used BET and Shop Manuals in stock.

http://www.factoryautomanuals.com/cart/ ... tring=mx-3

Meant to post that link previously but just found the bookmark in my favorites... Their site loads slow so be patient.
Image -Jim
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

dont get haynes... Chilton is much better.

I got mine off eBay for 20$CDN shipped :D
Jeff K

Post by Jeff K »

so is hte manual you guys are tlking about differnt than the one that cames with the car?
has anyone elss had a mazda dealer order them the manual?
Selecta

[EBAY]

Post by Selecta »

Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Mazda wants way too much for their manuals, a used one will do just a good so long as it is in good shape. Also if bought on E-Bay have them give you a money back guarantee that it is missing no pages. I did that on mine and got a good one, but that gave me piece of mind that if it was missing something I could get some money back or return the book for a full refund. I think Mazda wants 250.00 for the shop book and yes it is not even close to the same one that comes with the car. Read what has been typed before your post and you wouldn't have asked that ?. Neutral said the shop manual is over 1000 pages... the book that came with the car is maybe 50 pages.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

They told me a price but I don't remember exactly what it was. I think it was around the $150 range though. I would get one but my dad got me a chilton for christmas. It's been so awful that I actually do better working on stuff without it to mislead me.
-Eric

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”