EMERGENCY / TRANNY RELATED

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

So I need a new passenger side axle for a manual. Will this come with the bracket aamco was talking about? Also, Do I need a new driver side axle as well?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

The manual transmission uses different axles then the auto tranny.[/u]
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

mxprecidia wrote:So I need a new passenger side axle for a manual. Will this come with the bracket aamco was talking about? Also, Do I need a new driver side axle as well?
No. The stubshaft (halfshaft/jackshaft) and bearing carrier, which is all one piece, will not come with new axles. You need to find one from a junkyard or the dealer.
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

Thanks. Does anyone have a picture of a stubshaft?

Do I also need this for the driver side as well?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

mxprecidia wrote:Thanks. Does anyone have a picture of a stubshaft?

Do I also need this for the driver side as well?
I am pretty sure you will need all 3 shafts.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

I want to know why none of the shops you took it to knew about the axles... You would think they would at least check, especially if you keep coming back with snapped axles :shock:
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I want to know why none of the shops you took it to knew about the axles... You would think they would at least check, especially if you keep coming back with snapped axles
Why should they check? They are making $$$ off of his return business. Besides.. its not like even your best mechanics know every part needed for any given car, let alone that there might be axle differences between trannys.. plus.. maybe he didnt mention the swap to them. Now if the shop DID the swap for him.. that would be another story.. at that point they should have checked on the axles and if the shop did the swap and didnt check on them and used the wrong axles.. he would be able to make a case of malpractice (heh.. dunno what they call it in the automotive industry.. but there has got to be something) or at the least incompetance or neglegance..

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

I agree Tunes.

Just let me dream of a shop with honest mechanics who know everything ok! :lol:
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

The shop was aware of the swap. Let me say that this was the first time that the axle got stuck in the tranny. Please excuse my lack of intelligence, for I need to be 100% clear about the axles so I can bring the info to the mechanic. I told him about the stubshaft/jackshaft, and he looked at me like snot was running down my face and falling on his shoe. Please, someone, explain this to me like I am 4 yrs. old.

I have a perfectly working driver side axle from the automatic which I have been using for a year with the manual.

I need to get a new passenger side axle.

Someone said the stubshaft does not come with the axle. So I have to get a hold of a stubshaft.

I am still not clear on what a stubshaft is, where it goes, etc.

1) Do I need to replace driver side axle?

2) Do I need this so called stubshaft for the driver side axle?

3) What exactly is a stubshaft and what does it look like, where does it go? (I will pay someone $5 via paypal if they get under their car and take a picture of it.)

4) Any more info would be very helpful.

Thanks guys.
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Stubshaft/jackshaft whatever.. is a mini-axle that was designed to reduce torque steer associated with one long axle.

It is a "mini-axle" that connects the passenger side of the tranny to the passenger side axle. This is held in place by a bracket that bolts to the block. This allows there to be 2 short axles and reduces torque steer.

Maybe someone can give a better explanation?

I drew a diagram for you.... but cant upload it at work. Wait about an hour.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Sorry -- it was done in MS Paint.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

That's actually a very good picture for paint. Shows enough anyways 8)
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

Thanks a lot for the picture. The thing is, thats pretty much what my axle looked like. It was in 2 pieces with a bracket in the middle. I had this axle when it was an automatic (and had it professionally installed by a certified mechanic) Now when I did the auto to manual swap myself it was a real b---- to make that axle fit in there. the holes where the bracket is supposed to be bolted up did not like up and it took some force and some hammers. But then I had the tranny installed by 2 different places and they both did not have a problem fitting the axle in. So I dont know. It seems like I had the right axle, but this time the axle was stuck in the tranny when it blew. The place who is fixing the tranny said it was the differential carrier or something that broke again for the second time. He said this may be because of bad motor mounts or abuse. And I dont abuse it for sure.
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Now when I did the auto to manual swap myself it was a real b---- to make that axle fit in there. the holes where the bracket is supposed to be bolted up did not like up and it took some force and some hammers.

This alone should have alerted you that you had a fit problem. The only time you should ever need a hammer to do something to a car is if its a Volkswagon ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

Since the production of the mx3 was split in the year 95, do you think there are differences in the axles? I am still having trouble finding the right part. I ordered a full passenger side axle today but when i went to pick it up, it was one whole shaft. There was not a joint in the middle. I didnt buy it cause i didnt want to take a chance. It looked like the right size except it was one whole shaft. It was an aftermarket part. Could I have used this?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”