DOHC B6 to BPT swap??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joey's mx

DOHC B6 to BPT swap??

Post by Joey's mx »

Is it possible to do and is there alot of parts and custom work to be done???

Will the dohc b6 flywheel, clutch and tranny work on the bpt???
I will be trying to get the engine and ecu..is there anything else i should get???

Will the dohc b6 wiring harness work with the bpt??

any help would be great guys!!!
Jarago

Post by Jarago »

Use the search function on this site, there is a ton of information about it because I've already did some searching as I plan on doin the same thing.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Justin in MOCA has a pretty nice write up and list of parts.

http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/viewforum.php?f=6

He also has one of the fastest MX-3's on the forum. His car runs like a damn rocket and is pretty damned reliable too.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

so does anyone know for sure you can not use the mx-3 dohc tranny flywheel and clutch???
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Joey's mx wrote:so does anyone know for sure you can not use the mx-3 dohc tranny flywheel and clutch???
You can use the Mx-3's flywheel and clutch if you use the Mx-3's B6 transaxle. The diameter of the clutch the B6 uses is slightly smaller than the BP's FYI. The BP's is a 215mm.....

You probably won't be able to use the B6 jackshalft to bolt up to the BP block without modification, so you need to be aware of that. It's recommended that you use the Protege Lx drivetrain instead for easy installation. However, if you do this, there are a few other minor things that need to be changed as well. Speedometer gear and gauge cluster.....
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

so in order to use my b6 flywheel and clutch i need to use the b6 tranny!!!! It will take modification but will work??

Also will my underdrive pulley from my b6 work on the bpt??
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

jaydog5678 wrote:
Joey's mx wrote:The BP's is a 215mm.....
Well I don't know if you talk about the stock clutch (which I've never seen) but on my BP DOHC flywheel, I used a 225mm disk and it fits as the flywheel has a center of 225mm.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

NO, you can use either flywheel you want. wether its the B6 or BP on either trans. the only differance is the disk surface. the only differance between blocks is the BP is about 1/3" in length, the hight and width are the same. pluss the BP fly weighs about 1 to 2 lbs more. but you cant interchange disk and pressure plate between the two fly's, and the BP trans takes a different throw out berring. and how do i know! i have both sitting on the shelf. with a almost new BP clutch disk and Pressure plate if anyone wants them (stock but in great shape). im not useing them (the clutch and pressurelpate).
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

Input shaft diameters are different and number of splines are different between the B6 DOHC and the BP. also the flywheels are different because of the dowel placement. I did the tranny swap and act sent me the wrong clutch kit. I tried it on the BP flywheel and the dowels didn't line up, so I got myself a B6 standard flywheel and thought I was all set. When I was trying to line-up the tranny, it wouldn't go. I took down the tranny and removed the clutch disc and pressureplate and tried the clutch disc on the input shaft and the disc didn't fit on the shaft. So now I am waiting for the right kit.
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

ok so i can use the b6 tranny flywheel and clutch set up??
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

you could, but it isn't as strong as the Protege Tranny. The stock one would probably crap out on you.
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”