MX-3 K8 with a MX-6 or Probe V6 Clutch?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
UKMX-3

MX-3 K8 with a MX-6 or Probe V6 Clutch?

Post by UKMX-3 »

Guys my clutch is dead, i need a new one and getting an aftermarket clutch for the MX-3 is virtually impossible in the UK.

I know the whole K series engine interchangeability is legendary on this site so please dont flame me for asking this question, but,

Will a standard or perfromance clutch from an MX-6/Probe fit on without any modifications?

Thanks in advance for any help!
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

yes
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

seconded.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

That's what I'm using
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

When you do a 2.5 swap...you usually have to use the 1.8 flywheel...since Mellinia's were all automatics. So without a doubt it will work. Same flywheel, same tranny.

What are you getting? ClutchMasters? ACT?...
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I am running the PGT clutch and its abit better, ALOT cheaper :D
tk2269

Post by tk2269 »

wat kinda of car is a PGT clutch from?
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

tk2269 wrote:wat kinda of car is a PGT clutch from?
Ford Probe GT
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

BUT.....

I looked at the technical specs and the MX-6 Clutch has a larger Driver Plate, and a the input shaft diameter is slightly bigger to.

I know im going over old ground here, but does it definatley fit in there, bolts in just like the stock K8 clutch?
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

Definitely

I've got MX-6 clutch fitted to mine

100% interchangeable, no mods required
1994 MX-3 ZE
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

Well thats good enough for me, thanks guys, will order something today!
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

Just curious, where did you see that the input shaft is different? That's totally untrue (when speaking of the K-series motors and like transmissions). Like so many others here, i've put mx-6/pgt clutches in many Mx-3's. The difference is in the clutch disc. The PGT/mx-6 uses a disc 225mm in diameter, whereas the mx-3 is 215mm. (or is it 215/205?... theres a 10mm difference either way). The friction surface area is hardly enough to quibble about (yes, it helps, but it's not a tremendous difference), but the great part is that the PGT/mx-6 clutch set is far more widely available, and typically a bit less expensive... win-win-win... BUT!! MAKE SURE you have your flywheel resurfaced by a REPUTABLE SHOP that is known for their quality flywheel machining. The reason is that your old smaller clutch 'dug' into the flywheel just a teeensy bit, but if you put the new larger clutch in, you'll have an uneven surface for the disc to get clamped against. In turn, you'll have piss-poor performance, and a large deal of chatter. You'll likely not be able to see the 'groove' the old clutch made (unless you were just brutal on it), but it is enough to cause problems. It is ALWAYS advisable (and recommended by this shadetree grease monkey)to have your flywheel resurfaced ANY TIME you remove the clutch. However, if you go to http://www.partsamerica.com, I believe you can get a new (well, remanufactured, but good as new) flywheel for about $70 USD, and you'll spend $35-50 USD to have your old one resurfaced. The overwhelming majority of the clutches i replace reveal a flywheel ridden with stress cracks, heat scoring/spotting, pitting, etc, so be prepared to buy a new one anyways... You'll thank me later... small price to pay now compared to the extra labor you'll spend redoing it later. Good luck!

Daniel
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

I found my info on a http://www.speedways.co.uk

never used them before so it may be total rubbish,

what i found was the

MX3 had a 22 spline/220mm Driveplate Clutch, with 25.2mm Input shaft Diameter

MX6 had a 22spline/228mm Driveplate Clutch, with a 24.3mm Input Shaft
Diameter.

If its wrong I appologise, not my fault, i tend to trust suppliers.

Next

Are you saying its best to change your flywheel at the same time as ur clutch always? or just if you are swapping size?
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

No need to apologize for someone else's error... That's not knowledge that many folks have, much less that they research...

The input shafts are the same... If they weren't, then I'd have several miracle cars running around out there :)

and I believe that I just figured out where the error is... The difference is in the OUTPUT shafts... The CV axles are different between the cars, but the transmission input shafts identical... and that measurement sounds about right for the center shafts of the axles...

I'm saying that it's always best to have your flywheel resurfaced anytime you remove the clutch (whether replacing it or not)... granted, it's not always necessary, but it's a good idea... now, if you're changing to a larger clutch, then it's necessary to at least resurface the flywheel, but I strongly suggest just getting a new flywheel. The only time a new flywheel is required is when the flywheel's friction surface is worn below Mazda's spec, when it's warped beyond spec, when it's cracked beyond tolerance, or when it's pitted past machining spec.... or when the ring gear is broken or damaged... or if you've dug grooves into the flywheel.. or any condition that prevents the flywheel from being machined to within mazda specification.... It's worth the $$ though.

Daniel
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Thats the difference, the K8 clutch is 1 cm smaller total and doesn't use the outer edge of the flywheel, go for the bigger clutch.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”