Under Stereo Gauge Panel *Updated Pic Added*

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Under Stereo Gauge Panel *Updated Pic Added*

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok.. I know some of you have expressed interest in this idea.. so here are some pics of my prototype gauge panel. This is a functional mock up. Meaning its cut to size and fits as intended (though I am still making a few small adjustments) but I currently only have the oil pressure gauge so this mock up is made with just the single gauge. Two gauges will fit fine. Three gauges will fit but you will either need to go with the really tiny gauge types or you will need to custom fabricate a bracket to hold all three gauges to the plate. The mount brakets provided with most gauges are wider than the gauge itself so they take up a lot more width behind the panel. One thing I want everyone to be clear on.. this is just a piece of 1/8 inch thick plastic. There isnt much thats special about it except that its got a textured surface which matches the texture surface of the dash panels fairly well. And its laser cut for precise fitment. Both the fitment of the gauge and the fitment under the stereo. The engraving I did on this piece is just an example to show you what the engraving would look like. Unfortunately at this time.. If these do end up for sale.. they will only be available in the black with white letter. I used the smaller size Autometer gauge type for my mock up since those are the gauges I prefer. However.. I custom cut the holes with the laser, so if you have a different size than the autometer gauge.. I can still cut those holes. Keep in mind that this is really the largest size gauge that fits well in this panel and location. You will need to measure the diameter of the gauge back and the bezel to make sure they will fit properly. I will post a follow up with maximum sizes allowable if this idea gathers support. Another thing of note.. this panel literally wedges or "Snaps" into place quite nicely. It fit very firm and while it can be removed fairly easily.. it doesnt move about on its own and it held my gauge in place just as I wanted. Anyway.. here is how it looks.

Now here is how it looks installed.

In my opinion.. I like the look of it alot.. though it will look a lot better once the second gauge is added. The engraving is just some screwing around I did.. but if you decide you like the custom engraved idea.. any windows true type font can be used. Keep in mind that the more gauges you have or the bigger your gauges are, will cut down on the room you have left for engraving. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers.

Tunes67
Last edited by Tunes67 on June 30th, 2005, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

That brand on the left.... I'm sure I've heard of it somewhere.... something to do with quality, precision and value for money if I'm not wrong.... :D

Ha ha - well done! Looks good and solves the problem of where to mount them very nicely. I got both those DINs full or else I'd be nagging you for one!!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

looks great, I have a 3 guage A pillar pod, but if I didn't I would buy one.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
kinetica

Post by kinetica »

That looks really good. I like the super clean install; it almost looks like it was manufactured for the car.

Well done.
1993 Mazda MX3 GS - Stock for now
1997 Saturn SC1 - Daily driver/beater/slow
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Well done Tunes
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

That brand on the left.... I'm sure I've heard of it somewhere.... something to do with quality, precision and value for money if I'm not wrong.... :D
Heh.. I was just messing around.. Needed to put something on that side to offset the Mazdaspeed ;)

Just as a follow up.. these panels can be custom made for just about anything... I dont know the dimensions of one of those SAFC II controllers.. but if they are less than the size of the panel, then I could custom cut a mount hole for one of those as well. I think my end product for my car will have 3 gauges.. 2 of the Autometer gauges (Oil pressure and Water temp) and I think I will mount a smaller sized Vacuum Gauge between them. I may end up with one of the A Pillar Gauge Pods as well.. but just one of the 2 Gauge types if I do.. I would like to eventually have a Amps gauge and a Volts gauge as well. I did consider trying to fit 4 or 5 of the tiny gauge types in this panel.. I could make them fit fairly easily (though they would be staggered something like this *-*-* But the small gauges are so tiny and hard to read.. plus its hard to find mechanical versions of the small gauges. (I prefer mechanical gauges to sensor driven electrical gauges.. old school LOL)

Also.. in correction to my original post.. these are available in a few different colors. Black, Red, Green & dark Blue. All show a white letter when engraved. There is no price difference between the colors.. but depending on stock at hand it might take a bit longer to produce. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

That looks really good...very clean and stock looking!

So what would be the cost of one of those with 5 small evenly-spaced holes in it (for 5 toggle switches...no engraving)? I have a panel now, but I think yours looks WAY better, and I am a nut for perfection and spacing and stuff. The holes I drilled aren't spaced EXACTLY right and it bother's me.

:)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Pricing is still under consideration.. Need to work with Jeff a bit on this to iron out the details.. but I will tell you that the plates.. regardless of what is done to them.. wont be very expensive. Most of the costs involved will be simply so that my boss can make a bit of profit on them. Far far cheaper than say the windows visor cover things.. I dont want to post an actual price until all the details are worked out.. should have some info in a couple of days on how much and how to go about ordering them. I can tell you that my boss has agreed to the flat rate idea.. which means it wont matter what anyone has done to their panel.. they will all be the same price. If you want I could easily do 5 hole cutouts for your switches and I could engrave the function of the switch, on & off, etc.. and it wont change the price. Some folks will have more stuff done than others and the pricing will even out in the end. Cheers.

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok folks.. looks like we are going to be a go for a group buy on these.. check in the group buy forum for details in the next day or so. Cheers

Tunes67

Toffa

Post by Toffa »

Tunes,

Hell Yeah!! Looks awesome man. I'm so starting on my plan, as per that personal message I sent you!! :froggie_red: Can I get the dimentions off you? Dad works in injection moulding and has some contacts here in OZ he reckons might be able to help me out. Save on shipping etc etc :wink:

Keep it up man...

Toffa
'94 Eunos 30x 1.8L V6 5Spd MTX - Neons Under Dash, Lowered, Altezza's on Order.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You mean the dimensions of the panel? If so that could be a small problem.. see the panel is tapered slightly.. meaning its a small amount wider at the top of the plate than it is at the bottom of the plate. This is nothing for my laser to handle, but if you are cutting with a saw or other blade style cutter.. you wont get the precise cuts. Also.. if I gave out the dimensions.. I'd be sort of shooting myself in the foot as far as making money for my boss (and me too ;) )

On another note.. I can cut the letters all the way through the plastic like you mentioned in your PM. Though you will want to use a thick letter font.. block style font.. This would show up better for what you mentioned you want to do. A thin line font wouldnt have as much open area and a cursive font would have the cuts so close together that there could be melting of the plastic along the edges from the heat of the laser being in close proximity to a area thats already been cut. The font I used above (called Sonic XBd BT) would work fine for what you have in mind.. if you like that font. But there are tons of bold thick block fonts around.. I like that one because its similar to the font used for the Mazdaspeed logo.

Pricing is pretty much decided, just working out the details for shipping and I need to set up a paypal account for the company so we can take orders & payment via the net. Also the pricing will include a donation to MX-3.com from every order. These should be available in the Group Buy forum by the end of the week. Just a few more details to work out. Cheers :)

Tunes67

Toffa

Post by Toffa »

Tunes,

No wozzies bro. I like the font. Might just jump in the group buy. I'll keep an eye out. If you dont hear from me when it happens could ya email me? chris_toffa007@hotmail.com

I'd be real dark if i missed it. :wink:

Toffs
'94 Eunos 30x 1.8L V6 5Spd MTX - Neons Under Dash, Lowered, Altezza's on Order.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I made one very similar to that for the switches for my underbody kit and alarm, ect. I can tell from experiance that that is a great price for the panel. I might even have to buy one just cause it lookes better than mine.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I'd be real dark if i missed it.
You won't miss it... doesn't work like that
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Tunes, just an idea...
I see that your car is a 94+. I would assume that the lower DIN is the same size as the 93-. So what you could do is build for the 93- a lower din cup holder. I'm not sure what type of cup holder that we could use seeing as how i'd bet trying to find very many 94+ would be hard. You might call Mazda and see what they want for a cup holder assembly or maybe we can use one from another car since it will be fit into the cover you are making. The issue will be getting it to bolt in somehow since I wouldn't trust a press fit against my ZE accelerating with a Coke in the cup holder, hehe
Anyway just a thought since I know all of us 93- guys and gals would love a real cup holder, not the "between the ebrake and seat trick"
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “New Product Development”