Installing External Ignition coil

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Installing External Ignition coil

Post by MX-3 Money »

Ok, my ignition coil was shot so I got a new disty and I really don't want my coil to crap out on me again so I'll probley get a msd one. Now The one thing I wanna know is can I leave the internal coil in and use the msd one. Now in the FAQ step 5b says "you will have to disable the coil by removing the strap going from the distributor brain to the tachometer signal from the coil" Now I don't really see what in the pic they are talking about. Plus I don't really wanna disable a new disty so would I just be able to cut the plug off and just run the wires like in the diagram. Would leaving a functional coil in the disty screw things up even if it wasn't plugged in?
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

anyone, I just wanna know if I can leave the build in coil in and not have any problems if I use an external coil?
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

In doing this myself I had a bit of a problem leaving the strap there. It caused a few problems with the spark infact It was misfiring pretty bad.

The strap can be taken off if done carefuly can be put back in later, you just have to do some extra dissasembly. It is not hard and will only take a few miniutes if that.

You mentioned that your not sure what strap exactly we are talking about , it is the one comming from the 3 prong plug. when you have the disty cap off stand in front of it, it will be a skinny flat piece of metal going from the 3rd prong around to the right then to the center of the disty. It also helps to pull the center nut off the pick up assembly on the disty its self then you will see it better...hope this helps...
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 speed6, Wife say's i can't work on it.
2004 GSX-R 1000 Mat Mladin Replica
2006 toyota tacoma
1995 MX-6 in pieces almost ready for the junk yard, To much body damage.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”