External coil, HEI igniter, klze distributer

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
n2oklze

External coil, HEI igniter, klze distributer

Post by n2oklze »

I know the HEI mod is old news here, but here is a little bit about using the HEI mod, external coil, and a KLZE distributer.

I did the HEI mod a few weeks ago, which was nice since it helped the sputtering a little bit. I knew it was time to get rid of the internal coil as well, since I still had some ignition problems. Fortunately , I had a spare klze distributer lying around. I found this diagram on Probetalk...

(Click the image to show the correctly sized picture)

I don't take credit for the diagram, Mbolin5 from Probetalk made it a while ago. I would just like to give a little bit of information on how it applies to mx-3's.

This worked out perfectly. The only thing that confuses things slightly is the different colors that are used since the diagram was meant for a Probe. I didn't go by the colors of the wires, I just went by their position on the clips. Just a heads up, if your confused about the wires, the fatter wires on the clips are the PCM power relay wires so that should make things a bit easier. Also, if you don't have the four pin clip that is meant for the KLZE distributer, you can use a fuel rail four pin clip from an old harness. Another thing, I did not have to use the resister.

Why go with the KLZE distributer?
Well, the klze distributer is VERY simple. It can pretty much never go bad on you. The only things you will ever need to replace would be the rotor and the cap. Since the cap is not able to be purchased brand new in the United States, you can buy a modified cap from PRDonline.com.

For the record, I used an MSD blaster 2 coil, and an igniter from a 79 Chevy 350 Caprice (got the idea from JOe Bialy on Probetalk).
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

that is too awesome..I was actually checking these diagrams on PT for some time now..I was searching on how to hook it up to a msd 6al, blaster 2 coil, ze disty..close enough..I'll figure the rest out I guess.

once finished I'll post the diagram Mbolin posted but corrected to our car or you could do it since you already did it :D ?

oh and for the elec. newb questions :wink:
what H.E.I means (the actual letters) and what is his purpose
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

what year mx-3 do you got and what year probe was that diagram made for..some things are different in the wiring diagram I found on Grants site. i.e. the second wire (looking from the front of the engine) of the 6pin clip, in the wiring diagram for the mx-3 it's suppose to be a ground, but in your diagram it says it's the pcm power relay. so that got me confused there.

maybe I'm not reading that diagram correctly
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well I can answer one question for you.. HEI stands for High Engergy Ignition. Found on GM cars since the early 70's. Known for reliability and usually inexpensive easy to find parts. Good luck on your project :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

For some reason, every KLZE disty that I've seen doesn't have that wiring code. I've seen:

4 Pin KLZE Plug
- Black/Red

- Red/Black

- Orange

- Pink

I'm trying to hook up my MSD 6a and Blaster 2 coil with my 3055npn Transistor hook up to the KLZE disty and I'm not getting spark and I'm getting code "4" from the ECU (NE1 Cam Sensor).

Should I be wiring it like this?

MX-3 Wires...............KLZE Connector Wires
Violet Green__________Black Red
White Red____________Red Black
Black Lt Green________Orange
Violet White__________Pink
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
n2oklze

Post by n2oklze »

babyblueMX3 wrote:what year mx-3 do you got and what year probe was that diagram made for?
I've got a 93 MX-3, and I have no clue what year the Probe was.
babyblueMX3 wrote:

..some things are different in the wiring diagram I found on Grants site. i.e. the second wire (looking from the front of the engine) of the 6pin clip, in the wiring diagram for the mx-3 it's suppose to be a ground, but in your diagram it says it's the pcm power relay.
maybe I'm not reading that diagram correctly
I'm going to compare my wiring harness on my car to my 93 SE and see if there is a difference in colors and I'll get back to you. I'll get you guys the colors for an MX3 ASAP. For now, all you need to remember is that the PCM wire is always the fattest. With that information you can find out which wire is which, according to it's position in relationship to the PCM wire. By the way, so far so good. No more damn sputtering :lol:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”