Dumb question - does my MX have ABS?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mamoo

Dumb question - does my MX have ABS?

Post by mamoo »

When I bought it in January, I noticed there were no accessories at all ... no cruise control, no power windows, etc.

I also noticed that nowhere did I see an "ABS" logo, so I assumed it didn't have it.

But the other day I was on the highway, and the guy in front of me suddenly slowed down for some reason. So I slammed on the brakes, and because the distance was so small, I instinctively changed lanes in order to avoid him. Luckily, the lane was clear so I didn't hit anyone.

I was freaked out (my first close call), but later I suddenly realized that the brakes never locked, I was able to steer even though I was braking so hard.

Now, I'm not sure how hard I was pushing the brakes -- maybe it wasn't all the way. Or maybe I was.

Is there any way to find out whether I've got ABS?
You'll take my MX-3 away ... from my cold dead hands!
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I don't have ABS on my MX but if you have it, should see an "ABS" warning dash light come on when starting the engine. It's located on the left (clock side) column of idiot lights - second from the bottom I think...
Image -Jim
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

lol you'll also realize, hey mx-3 have really nice braking turning and power control, we dont need no stinking abs lol
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

There's definitely no ABS light on there. Actually I think the oil light came on when I slammed the brakes (I'm not sure because I wasn't staring at the console when it happened).

Anyway, it seems I'm ABSless. No biggie, I was just wondering. Luckily it's still a hell of a car!
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

LooseChangeRacing wrote:lol you'll also realize, hey mx-3 have really nice braking turning and power control, we dont need no stinking abs lol
:werd:
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

ABS sucks. You'd know if you had ABS because when you hit the brakes hard and stay on them, your brakes will start to feel like they are grinding. It's the oddest feeling the first time you hit ABS brakes hard.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
mamoo

Post by mamoo »

Flashpoint2 wrote:ABS sucks. You'd know if you had ABS because when you hit the brakes hard and stay on them, your brakes will start to feel like they are grinding. It's the oddest feeling the first time you hit ABS brakes hard.
Good point ... now that you mention it, I have felt that ... on a friend's Toyota. Freakystrange sensation.
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

Just imagine your brake pads clapping like a little kid at disney land :) It just makes it so your tires dont lock up and your car wont go out of control. You can still stear if you lock your breaks up but that usualy makes your back end swing out ;)

ABS sucks in the snow :) No fun at all.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”