Which injectors for turbo 4 cylinder? (look inside)

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
n2oklze

Which injectors for turbo 4 cylinder? (look inside)

Post by n2oklze »

This is not your typical "I haven't searched, so feed me everything like a baby" question about injectors so hear me out. I currently have a klze MX-3 on a 75 shot of nitrous, and have had Mx-3's for the past 4 years so I know a great deal about k series motors, v6 bodies, and Mx-3s in general. I know the basics and a tad more about turbos, so please don't tell me to go buy Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost" book. With my current Mx-3, I'm going to be Megasquirting, dropping in Nissan injectors, and boosting with a t3/t4, basically going all out. With my new Mx-3 things are different. I just got a 4 cylinder for free, and have access to cheap turbo parts from a friend. I'm not so informed as to what will fit though. Ok here it goes.. If anyone is familiar with the K series engines, they know that the Millenia S injectors flow at 280 cc, compared to the stock kl injectors which are at 220. With K series, you can drop the Millenia's in with the stock ecu and not have to worry about controlling, as they are not very much higher flowing than the stock injectors. Sure, they idle a tad rich, but no biggie. I'm loooking for a similar injector to work with my 4 cylinder. I actually get the car tomorrow, so I'm not sure if it's the SOHC or DOHC though. Given any scenario, which injectors flow a tad more than stock and will fit in the SOHC and/or DOHC engines?

By the way, I'm going to be using a WRX turbo, Cartech FMU, Walbro 255 fuel pump, and a small saab side-mount intercooler. Not going for big boost, just trying to reach 200 hp with it. Please nobody suggest stand-alone ecu, it's not happening on that car. Thanks guys.
facko

Post by facko »

well i have the dohc and im running between 7-10lbs of boost and i got injectors from a 1.8L miata. im using my stock fuel pump and a vortech 12:1 fmu and i have no problems with leaning out on fuel.
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Now, if I'm not mistaken, the SAFC works on your car, correct?

If thats the case, I suggest ditching the FMU all together and running 310cc (88-89 PGT/MX6) or 330cc (90-92 PGT/MX6).

As far as a small increase, whats the stock injector size? 1st gen MX6/PGT n/a injectors may fit the bill if you're looking to stick with the stock ecu with no changes. I cant remember the flow rate off the top of my head but I would assume theyre a bit larger than your stockers, but not too huge. Compare them and see.

Also, if you're looking for even bigger, FC rx7 n/a's have 460cc injectors that are also a direct drop in, as well as supra turbo's (440cc) and 1G DSM's (450cc)
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

people have swapped the 1.8 litre miata injectors and have had success.
Though does anyone know how close they were to maxing them out, last thing youd want is an injector to go out at 6k rpms. If your interested i have a set of 450's 330's and 310's. Though with these you will need something to control the fuel.
Let me know.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Um I have a set of Stock BP ones, like 220ccs. But It is a SOHC you won't reach 200 without blowing something. The DOHC I think can make it. The WRX Turbo is a little big for the 1.6L. 1.8L BP's have noticable lag with them on.
forcedairram

330s

Post by forcedairram »

We have a set of 323 injectors, i think they are 330cc but im not sure on that, im running rc engineering 440s at 10lbs on a small 16G turbo and i have to buy a fuel pressure regulator to get anything else out of my engine, im already adding like 45% on the S AFCII.
facko

Post by facko »

not to get to far off topic or nething...but i thought the SAFC didnt work right on the 94+ ecu's...like you could tune the idle, but as for the rest of the rpm range it didnt work because of it reading the throttle as either close or wide open...not 100% on that but i remember reading somethin along those lines before i turbo'd my car
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
n2oklze

Post by n2oklze »

Well, I may be interested in those injectors if I can find out our stock flow rates. Putting in 220cc injectors with a stock ecu would be a very bad idea if the stock flow rates were like 140cc or something puny like that. I had a SOHC way back when I was 17, but I do remember a few things about them. Aren' t SOHC and DOHC both B6 engines? I was under the impression they had a similar short block. If that was the case, then the SOHC short block would definitely be able to handle 200 hp, since many DOHC's have done it. Maybe I'm way off, I'm going to hang around the 4 cylinder section a little more to touch-up my four cylinder knowledge. Thanks for all of the good input guys, keep it coming.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Um racingmazda.com had an SOHC going. I thought I remembered them blowing it up around 180 or 175 whp.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

ok so if im gonna run the stock turbo and all the goodies from a 323 gtx what else would i need to upgrade if i was using the injectors or should i just stay with my stock 1s if im only gonna be running 7-10 psi??
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

well the stock 330's on the 323's run out at around 15 psi (i believe that is towards the upper end of the duty cycle(85-90%))

You also have to think at what duty cycle your stock injectors will be running at, like i said before you wouldnt want a injector to go out at 5k rpms.
PM me if you want to talk prices on injectors. (i have sets of 310's, 330's, and dsm 450's <-- these will require a resistor box which i dont have. Though you can get a local electronic stores)
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

so if i run the 330's i wont have to change my ecu or anything??
n2oklze

Post by n2oklze »

BuGS wrote:Um racingmazda.com had an SOHC going. I thought I remembered them blowing it up around 180 or 175 whp.
People have different definitions of "blowing up" an engine. If they put a rod through the block or snap it in half, that would tell me that maybe the SOHC may have trouble handling all of that power. If they melted a piston or spun a bearing, that might tell me that they were running lean or had oiling problems. I'm open to new information, but when someone says something can't be done and don't give proof to back it up, I really pay no attention to it.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

facko wrote:not to get to far off topic or nething...but i thought the SAFC didnt work right on the 94+ ecu's...like you could tune the idle, but as for the rest of the rpm range it didnt work because of it reading the throttle as either close or wide open...not 100% on that but i remember reading somethin along those lines before i turbo'd my car
I have a 94 and my TPS vaires between 0 and 4.5 volts. I am running a SAFC too.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
forcedairram

Safc

Post by forcedairram »

All the super afc needs to read is closed or wide open throttle, and thats not all it reads thats just what your TPS sends. The only downside to the super AFC is that you have to tune it to one setting, like for example.... on my car anything under 3500 rpms has to be very light or to the floor, anything over 3500 rpms is half throttle or to the floor. this being becuase the Stock TPS only sends a open or closed signal. But its really easy to work around it.

Return to “Forced Induction”