Will this tranny cooler be ok?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Chiggles

Will this tranny cooler be ok?

Post by Chiggles »

So I decided that I wanted to get a new cooler rather than trying to find a used one at the pick n' pull. I went into Partsource the other day and found this one made by Mister Transmission with a GWV of 18000. Should be enough, but the box didn't really mention for what types of vehicles it would be appropriate for. The description claims it's better than tube and plate style coolers, so I'm assuming it's some sort of fin and plate style instead.

Are tranny coolers not make-specific??? If so, that's great. Just need to get around to putting it in some time is all, but I wanted to make sure that this cooler would be ok before I try installing it.
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Will this tranny cooler be ok?

Post by neutral »

Chiggles wrote:Are tranny coolers not make-specific??? If so, that's great. Just need to get around to putting it in some time is all, but I wanted to make sure that this cooler would be ok before I try installing it.
FWIW, on my 90 MX-6 2.2L 4 cyl, I installed a large old tube type aux cooler bought several years ago for, but never installed on, my 10,000 GVW 5.9L Dodge engine/RamVan 250. As long as it's rated big enough to do the job (18,000 GVW should do it lol), my impression is that fitment means literally... will it fit in your available mounting location. If the cooler fits, wear it...
Image -Jim
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Good to know. :D That said, where exactly do I find the hose that I need to disconnect to run into the cooler and back into from wherever it is I pulled it from. I know it's a tube going from the tranny to the radiator, yes, but WHERE is that tube?? I'm not familiar with my bay yet to know where everything is. :oops:
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Check out this thread: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... 07&start=0. I have links there to some pictures of my install. The tube on the RIGHT (driver side) is the one you want to splice your cooler lines into. The tube on the left (psgr side) is the one that can stay as is.

ANY cooler is better than what is built into the radiator as stock. Add to the fact that unless the car is moving or the electric fan is on, no cooling is taking place. So when you are sitting in traffic and the fan isnt on, with or without an auxiliary cooler, its not getting any cooler. I used to turn on the a/c any time I was in traffic just to keep the electric fan running. Call me paranoid, but at 155k miles its still shifting fine so I did something right for a change.... :D

On my 240sx, since it has a mechanical fan attached to the water pump, its always sucking in air. Just the other day I got home from work (about 25 mile drive) after sitting in a traffic jam for over 30 minutes, just out of curiosity I grabbed the "in" hose to my cooler while the engine was running. It was very warm, almost hot. I grabbed the "out" hose, it was barely over ambient. And that was with the fan just at idle speed.

Whatever cooler you have, get it on there. Sooner the better. ANY cooler you have will be better than nothing.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

If anyone is interested I have my tranny cooler for sale:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42496
billzie

Post by billzie »

FYI, on any car you want to use the OUT line from the radiator/factory cooler to tap for the IN on your aftermarket cooler. The main reason to do this rather than just bypass the radiator is that in cold weather the trans fluid gets warm long before your coolant does, so it acts as a coolant warmer thus giving you heat in your car faster. The way I've always checked on cars/trucks (and this works no matter the make every time) is disconnect one line from the radiator, have a small container available to catch the fluid, have someone start your car, fluid will either squirt from the line or the hole in the radiator, if it comes from the hole this is the one to tap in to, if it comes from the line the other one is the one to tap in to.
Also, my favorite coolers are found on larger Mitsus, they usually have two, three if a turbo car. They are bar and plate style and fittings are metric but I've found them at the locar hardware.
HTH, Bill.
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

FYI, on any car you want to use the OUT line from the radiator/factory cooler to tap for the IN on your aftermarket cooler. The main reason to do this rather than just bypass the radiator is that in cold weather the trans fluid gets warm long before your coolant does, so it acts as a coolant warmer thus giving you heat in your car faster.
In theory, this sounds like it could be true, but as I, (and a zillion Probers on PTalk), have found, it really makes no difference in how fast the heater warms up in the winter - at least in the case of Probes/MX-3's. I myself would rather not sacrifice line pressure to the ATX, just so my heat picks up 30 seconds quicker either.. Good thought in the above, but in all actuality, naaaaaaaa. Just run it through the cooler, get the cooler in a good location, and you're better off.

PS-just put a cooler on this ATX last winter. didn't use the stock cooler whatsoever. heat warms up no faster or slower than before, given I've never used a stopwatch. :wink:
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com

Return to “Transmissions”