What's the purpose of the separator? (fuel system)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

What's the purpose of the separator? (fuel system)

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I noticed a mysterious fuel leak, and wasn't very happy about it. At first I thought it was from the filler tube, but once I took a better look, I saw it was from the separator.
I didn't even know what it was called when I detected the leak. I expected 2 tubes in that area (filler/ventilation) but not a third one which doesn't really connect to anything. When I called my mechanic, he was as baffled as I am, so I disconnected it and plugged the lines from the fuel tank end. The leak has stopped, but now I'm considering the possibilities...
I don't think what I did will call any damage. I'm assuming that the separator is a part of the emissions control system. Will I fail my next e-test with it bypassed? Does anyone know what exactly it does?
Carthago Delenda Est
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Guys? I really need to know what it's for... Can anyone help me?
Carthago Delenda Est
Chino921

Post by Chino921 »

I'm not sure what part you're talking about but it's not a separator. Separators are on diesels to separate water from the fuel. (water is heavier than diesel fuel and settles to the bottom). So, do you have a pic of the part?
FiReSTaRT
Supporting Member

Post by FiReSTaRT »

I found out the name of the part by checking out the scanned shop manual on this site. The part exists on both engines, but lets say we're taking a look at the K8 fuel system...

On F2-004, it is labeled with #14 on the diagram.
On F2-005, I finally have the name of the part.
On F2-129, we have the removal instruction but it says nothing about the purpose.
Carthago Delenda Est

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”