Subwoofer myths or reality?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
good_glory

Post by good_glory »

Chronicle-Rod wrote: Personally, I'm a fan of the JL Audio's W7. Never had a problem with them and they sound great.
agreed.
facko

Post by facko »

well ive delt with 2 brands of subs, rockford fosgate and MTX. my im not sure on the specifics of the rockfords, but there the older punch models and they are alot better than most crap ive herd, but the new MTX 8000 15's i got are bad a-- =D so anyone who is lookin into mtx speakers, i give mine 2 thumbs up! :2thumbsup:
BP swap -- Pacesetter Header -- Custom CAI -- Custom 2.5 Exhaust w/ a Thrush Glasspack and 40 Series Flowmaster -- SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

wtf....who cares if he's won SPL competitions. SPL = sound pressure level aka volume/loudness! It isn't a SQ competition which is what matters in life.

Who gives a sh!t if you can hit 1000 dB's. If it sounds like dogazz whats the point?

its like people who build mustangs to run 8 second 1/4 miles. Wow, good job! You wasted $50,000 to turn your car into a non-handling non-streetlegal impractical useless peice of crap! Same goes for people with "SPL-winning" vehicles....the ones which win the bigger competitions have a few hundred pounds of added audio equipment and have insane alternators/battery setups to support their 12 amps and subs. Makes their cars completely useless for street use.

~end rant~

And yes SONY SUCKS! From experience I can speak for their xplod products as sucking. I actually firmly believe ALL sony products suck including my PS2 (i'm on my 3rd one wtf!?) and my digicam (high-end $500 camera stops charging itself even w/new battery & charger cable?).

My xplod cd player has a useable cdplyaer but the radio ceases to work anymore. This happened for no apparent reason as well.

Sony just sucks....It amazes me how they can sell their garbage products for so much money and people still think their electronic products are the best! I think panasonic has some of the best stuff out there....never had any panasonic stuff break on me!

Oh yeah.....FOCAL SPEAKERS! Check them out. I won a SQ competition a couple years back in my Protege w/a set of these mounted up front. Otehr stuff in my system was strictly infinity speakers/sub w/alpine amp.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Oh ya someone already listed a good list of awesome sub/speaker brands.

I'll try to add to this with my experience, although be advised I haven't really looked into the "latest" awesome speakers available the past couple years.

These are brands you can buy at retail stores, not super awesome high end stuff or rarer stuff. Mostly the crap you find in local electronic stores

Pure sh!t! Avoid at all costs:
-sony
-lightning audio
-pyramid
-legacy
-boss
-optimus (radio shack)

Simply OK if you don't care about SQ:
-alpine
-pioneer
-rockford fosgate (used to be good, but goin downhill fast as of late)
-JVC
-Jensen

Inexpensive but better sounding (in general) than the above:
-Polk Audio
-Infinity
-MTX
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

Gro Harlem wrote:wtf....who cares if he's won SPL competitions. SPL = sound pressure level aka volume/loudness! It isn't a SQ competition which is what matters in life.

Who gives a sh!t if you can hit 1000 dB's. If it sounds like dogazz whats the point?

its like people who build mustangs to run 8 second 1/4 miles. Wow, good job! You wasted $50,000 to turn your car into a non-handling non-streetlegal impractical useless peice of crap! Same goes for people with "SPL-winning" vehicles....the ones which win the bigger competitions have a few hundred pounds of added audio equipment and have insane alternators/battery setups to support their 12 amps and subs. Makes their cars completely useless for street use.

~end rant~

And yes SONY SUCKS! From experience I can speak for their xplod products as sucking. I actually firmly believe ALL sony products suck including my PS2 (i'm on my 3rd one wtf!?) and my digicam (high-end $500 camera stops charging itself even w/new battery & charger cable?).

My xplod cd player has a useable cdplyaer but the radio ceases to work anymore. This happened for no apparent reason as well.

Sony just sucks....It amazes me how they can sell their garbage products for so much money and people still think their electronic products are the best! I think panasonic has some of the best stuff out there....never had any panasonic stuff break on me!

Oh yeah.....FOCAL SPEAKERS! Check them out. I won a SQ competition a couple years back in my Protege w/a set of these mounted up front. Otehr stuff in my system was strictly infinity speakers/sub w/alpine amp.

^^^EXACTLY! :D ^^^
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

good_glory wrote:
Chronicle-Rod wrote: Personally, I'm a fan of the JL Audio's W7. Never had a problem with them and they sound great.
agreed.

They better be good for that kind of money. Sheesh.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
mx3mikey

Post by mx3mikey »

Damn!
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

also good quality for a low price is clif designs and visonik.
but i agree sony's f***ing blow i have a buddy that swears by sony and has 2 12' in his trunk runing around 500w and my little 10' pheniox gold kills them for sq and spl and i'm only running a 200w clarion amp. and a side note don't was your money on any of the pheniox gold octane type r subs they cook way to easily!! :cry:
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

They better be good for that kind of money. Sheesh.
Lol I was wondering when someone would say that :D W7s are expensive!! a friend of mine had a system set up with 8 of them in a civic hatch and could only hit 152db :? can you say ouch...

Anyway.. I know i've said this before, and since noone had mentioned anything about them in this thread so far, I'm kinda worried lol, but I've a big fan of Clarion and PPI... decent gear that's midpack for price. this is what i run..

Clarion DZH945 head unit
Clarion remote bass gain
Clarion 6 disc changer
Clarion DPX640.2 2-channel amp running the fronts (no rear speakers)
Clarion APX1000.2 2-channel for the subs
Eclipse 6.5" mid/tweet component set.
2 12" PPI C2 competition subs
Lightning Audio 1 farad power cap
4 gauge power/ground wire

nice and loud, and clear as a bell :D
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

wow gro calm down buddy before you blow a head gasket to each his own ya know. I have a loud stereo that hits over 160 db's now but I can also take it out and loose most of the extra weight. yes sq matters to most people for daily driving but some people just like to bump. don't hate on people for being into bump that's not cool they don't hate on you for liking sound quality and if they do they are lame people. I am not trying to start a fight with anyone just thought things were getting kinda ugly in here. :D
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

reaper of souls wrote:...my little 10' pheniox gold kills them for sq and spl...
Holy crap! "little" 10 FOOT speakers? :shock:

Haha, jk, I'm sure that you meant 10".
No more MX-3.
JJT

I like my Pioneer Head Unit.

Post by JJT »

I like my Pioneer DEH 860MP, its has great sound quality and it delivers on the bass reflex that i like. and in my Mx-3 it sounds good. now I just need a better amp and subs. and I am set. hehehe. I am kind of Partial to Pioneer and Alpine. for subs I want to try the new Pioneer subs that have a 4 inch mounting dept. there 12'' subs. and I have heard them before at a Audio Store in my home town. and they sound just as good if not better then most normal dept mounting subs. I need to save the trunk space. now just need to find a good amp and I am set. any reomendations for a good 4 channel amp and a 2 channel amp. the 4 channel for the highs and mids and the 2 channel for the lows.
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

Athough i have nothing against the W7, i feel like alot more can be acheived for that price. I ised to have w7's, and it pissed me off every time i had to do something with it because of that removable foam surround to get to the screws. I mean, Cmon! if you make something that has to be removed and tampered with offen make it out of something stronger then foam. I do however like the bass the w7's offer. I think a thunder 9500 or a RE xxx would do better though :D
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”