FAQ: Ground cables - How to make your own *Pics included*

This forum is for topics related to the MX-3 Electrical System.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

FAQ: Ground cables - How to make your own *Pics included*

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok.. first off.. I am not doing this to show anyone up or to point fingers about who is right or
who is wrong. Gro Harlem has a excellent write up on how to make a ground wire kit for the
engine bay's of our MX-3's. This post is not intended to overshadow or replace his walkthrough,
rather its intended to compliment his write up. The purpose of this post is to show, anyone that
wants to know, how to make professional quality cables for very little cash. Now this post takes
tools of most sorts for granted. If you are working on your own car, you should have a decent
tool set already and if you dont, you should really budget some cash and invest in a variety of
high quality tools. Any project goes a LOT smoother if you have the proper tools to begin with.

I bought the cable at Central Welding supply. Its 4 gauge cable and while I dont remember the
strand count.. but you can see in the following pics that it has lots of strands. I bought 8 feet
of this cable for $6.32 US. I bought a box of the connectors (12 count in the box)
you will see for $7.89. I bought the heat shrink wrap in a package of varying sizes for less
than $8.00.

Ok.. lets get started. Its really a very simple process. In the following pics, you will see the cable
& connectors I used to make this particular cable.

Here is a pic of the end of the cable after I stripped the insulation off the end in preparation
for attaching it to the copper connector.

Here is a pic of the connectors I used.

After stripping both ends of the cable.. cutoff about 3-4 inches of solder.. wad it up into a ball
and stuff it into the end of the connector. Then place the connector in something to hold it..

I used Vice grips like this.

Now use a propane torch like this one (or something similar.. heck even
one of those jet cigarette lighters might work ok)

and heat up the connector until the solder inside the connector melts.
Then immediately stuff the end of the cable into the connector..
if the solder cools you may have to reheat the connector to get the end of
the cable fully seated. Now just slide on some heat shrink material and
using the heat of the torch (NOT the flame) shrink it up snug around the
connection. This is what you will have when you are done.

This cable cost a grand total of no more than $4.00 in materials. Yes I have tools,
but I dont look at any tool purchase as a one time use item, if I have to buy
a tool to do a project, then I know I will have the tool for any future projects.
So I dont include the cost of tools in this sort of thing cause tools are an investment
in our ability to successfully do ANY project.

I hope this helps some folks out. Best wishes.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ManoWar

Post by ManoWar »

Nice write up. Now i know why my connectors suck, never thought of stuffing in solder.

FAQ PLEASE
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

gro had a write up just like this on his website..
still great info though
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Blotto

Post by Blotto »

I have seen these for sale and have wondered what the purpose is? I have seen like 6-8 of these wires all bolted to a metal circle and have wondered where this would go and why? Just never thought to ask.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

my bad but what the heck do these do and what for etc??
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Ground wires to ensure the integrity of the electrical system. MX3s are known for having poor quality grounding and many people find the installation of these beneficial. Do a search and you'll find a lot of information about it.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

I stuck one in when I did my BP swap. I do notice that my interior electrical and headlights do not dim where they normally did, either because of the sound system or going to and from idle.

As for any boost benefit, I cannot say as I did the swap at the same time, but it makes sense that the engine control electronics will be more accurate due to better ground contact.

If your lights are dimming, imagine what all the control electronics are doing...
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo
Mexos

Post by Mexos »

Where do you mount this Ground cable? do you just exchange it with the original ground cable from the Battery to the engine and so on? I'm going to exchange the ground cable's in my car because the stereo system has alot of distorition and i've heard that the Ground in the Mx3 sucks.
Looking good.
X: 1992 Mx3 Gs.
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

Most of the kits come with a central grounding terminal of some sort. From here are several large gauge cables that you ground at points throughout your engine compartment; engine block, valve cover, intake manifold, alternator, etc.
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

this might not be the place to ask this but does anyone have pics or some type of diagram on where to put the new grounds or any sugestions on places to put them ? sorry if this isnt the right place but i have wanted to upgrade my grounds because i know the help but i dont know where to put them all besides the stock ones

Thanks
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Check out Gro Harlems write up he shows in his "How To", where to place them.. its on his website.

http://www.projectmazda.com

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “Electrical/Lighting FAQ”