New Head Unit

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Gfresh

New Head Unit

Post by Gfresh »

I'm thinking about buying a new head unit, as I currently have a Pioneer Premiere DEH-340 which is fine except that it lacks MP3/WMA playback. I have been looking to upgrade to a Pioneer Premiere DEH-770MP, as it in wihtin my price range, it looks great, and from what I've heard it is a great all around deck. I was just wondering if any of you have any other suggestions for mp3/wma decks within the $350 CAD price range, or have any personal experience or info about the DEH-770MP.

Also I eventually plan on putting an entire Memphis M-Class system in my car, as I am all about SQ and not so much SPL, but that's a long way down the road.
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

For sound quality an Eclipse would be an excellent choice. But they might be a bit too much $$. Of the "main" brands, Panasonic's are durable and can track scratched CD's better than most.
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Ya Eclipses are nice. They even have a lower end deck for about $299 I saw, and it has 5volt pre-outs!!!!!!!

Might have to find some cash for a new deck..............
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'll put in a vote for Pioneer, both my car's have pioneer decks, my sister's Prelude as well, and my buddy in 2 of his 3 cars, oh, and my uncle in his Civic
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Legato626

Eclipse rules.

Post by Legato626 »

If you spend the little bit more to get a good eclipse 5volt you will be happy with it. I will bet my car on it. :2thumbsup: I got mine for $500 (willing to sell it to for $400) Its the eclipse 5 volt i want to sell it becuase i want to get the 8volt eclipse.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

why do you care so much about pre-out voltage? Once you get passed 2V the only real difference is you have to adjust your amp gain...and at that you can get more audible distortion from overdriving the input on your amp. Alpine CDA-9830, CDA-9833 and CDA 9835 are some of the best choices i can come up with. Seeing as you are looking for MP3 playback you could be ahead of the game and look at the new JVC's with MP3DVD...yep, that 4.7 GIGABYTES of mp3's you can put onto a cd, for a couple bucks. If i upgrade my deck, ill look into this one.
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
Legato626

eclipse rules

Post by Legato626 »

Have you ever heard the differents between the eclipse 5volt to a 3volt. You can hear the difference in sound quality. Its loader the bass is loader and more smooth bass hits.
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

I used to like eclipse until i took one apart and found out that the insides where like 95% sony. Every little chip and diode said sony, NEC, or PPC or something like that...
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I used to like eclipse until i took one apart and found out that the insides where like 95% sony. Every little chip and diode said sony, NEC, or PPC or something like that...
Just like almost every other company............. JVC and Sony use the same plugs for most of there decks. Not too many of the decks u see in places like Best Buy, or walmart make everything in house. The got to order parts from somewhere, and usually from bigger companies like Sony, and the larger computer companies.

Brings up another point -> like my mx-3, has mitsubishi ignition, and fuel parts, as well as a lot of ford.

it's just how things work :lol: And as long as they work I am happy :D
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
opdmize

Post by opdmize »

Get a used Eclipse 8443. Best bang for your buck deck. Very HIGH quality.
1993 MX-3 GS/SE KL-ZE'd
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

i am going to get the new one with the GPS lol the new 8volts should make my new BFG crossfire bound hard
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

beacbum

Post by beacbum »

Go with the Kenwood Excelon. It has 5.0V as well and WMA/MP3. It also has the tilt feature which is perfect for our cars, as the head unit is fairly low in the console. It is a great bargain with superior quality!
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

check out clarion they have great had units 2
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

I have a Alpine in mine and a Alpine in the 91 SI Prelude I had. One of the best as far as I'm concerned.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”