smokey mx3, sparkplugs look funny

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
turbulence23

smokey mx3, sparkplugs look funny

Post by turbulence23 »

ok, here's the problem...

i bought the v6 about a month ago...

at first, no problem at all, then after a couple of weeks it started to smoke a lot...

in the beginning, it smoked continuously, all the time when i was driving the car.

then i found out the thing i am pointing in the picture was causing the problem:

the black line that is just above the most right sparkplug was loose inside the rubber, and was kept in place using some ducktape what was wrapped around the plug that was going inside..

now, i cleaned that plug, and put it back in the way it should, and then the smoke started to almost go away..

after this, it sometimes only smoked, when i really pedaled the car, or when i started the engine when it was parked for over a night..

then i decided to look at the plugs, to see if i could read out anything from them..

what i found was that, the front 3 sparkplugs where all blackish, only the centertip of the plugs had the right colour, the rest of the plug was completely black..

then i turned out the back 3 plugs, and they where just fine. good colour, no black sh*t around the plug, just fine..

so no i was wondering, what is going on with the car?

i was searching the forum, and i found another topic,

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=pcv

and that was just about the same problem i have with my car.

the engine output also really smells like fuel, and the plugs are just alike like seen on the picture on page 2..

what conclusion can i make out of the fact that the front 3 plugs are black, and the back 3 are just fine.

and the problem issued in the other topic i also mentioned, ( bad rings around the fuelinjectors) can that also cause 3 black plugs, and 3 good plugs?

the exaust really smells like fuel, so i am beginning to think that it might just be the same problem that he has..

PS; it might be possible, that some of my lines arent correct english, sorry, but it has been some years ago that i had english at school
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

PCV valve
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
J0HN_R1

Re: smokey mx3, sparkplugs look funny

Post by J0HN_R1 »

It could be your valve-seals too... I'm having similar issues with sporadic (sp?) oil-burning/smoke from the tail-pipe, and feel thats probably my problem... And yeah, the part your're refering to is the PCV valve (behind that infamous sparkplug). If it fails and lets oil/sludge into the IM, then even after replacing it you'll still get the odd deposits burning off here n' there... It sits in there and collects dirt, then gets loose and burns in the combustion chamber when fresh oil gets back in there... Try this, was mentioned in another thread and seams to stop ALOT of oil from entering my IM... Get a new PCV valve, a G2 filter, and 8" of 5/8" PCV/Gas line (used for the valve-side of the G2, the new line is too big for the IM-side. Use the stock line, cut it to fit. Just make sure you give enough 'slack' on the valve-side so you can plum it under the other big vacuum tee pictured or else it will damage the hood insulator)... It'll cost ya $10 tops...

turbulence23 wrote:...PS; it might be possible, that some of my lines arent correct english, sorry, but it has been some years ago that i had english at school...
:? :?: Well, it took 3-4 times reading that part, but that was the only part I had trouble understanding... LOL
When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

thanx for the replies..

it is almost impossible that the valve seals are messed up, because these where replaced some months ago, and after that, it didnt smoke..

i will contact my mazda dealer tomorrow, and ask him for a new pcv valve ( what does PCV mean?)

powercontrolvalve? :lol: ( really dont know)

and i wil see if i can get that G2 filter u mentioned..

BTW; what is that filter normally for? fuelfilter?

so if i go to the local carpartsdealer, and ask for a g2 filter, he knows what i'm talking about?

BTW: thanks for the pic, that says a lot more to me than words, now i really know what you mean..

i also read that other thread, only problem is, all the picslinks are broken
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

positive crankcase ventilation i believe.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Even if its not the valve seals..signs of a wearing engine are smoking at high revs... check compression on it. prtty simple and it can tell you alot of your engine's condition. My engine didnt smoke when I had a leking pvc valve. Thats what seems strange to me.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

hgallegos915 wrote:check compression on it. prtty simple and it can tell you alot of your engine's condition.
oke, and how simple is pretty simple??

can i do that myself, or do i have to go to a garage for this??
m7x3r

Post by m7x3r »

Okay so after a bit of research on any threads regarding pcv valves and their issues... and after reading this one ... I have decided to ask my question on here ... even though some how this thread took a wrong turn... and for starters for those who get pissed off aggravated or feel that I am causing them "agony" by posting a "stupid" question or for the lack of knowledge I have... then simply walk yourself out and keep it shut no one put a freakin' gun to your head and asked you to answer ish if you don't feel like answering or think this is too stupid to be answered fair enough glad you're the all knowing mx-3 guru now have yourself a cookie and some milk coz you just made momy proud... for those who are nice enough and are helpful I thank you in advance for your respect and for all your help and for remembering the purpose of this site to begin with ... post a question ... post an answer.. or an openion... was never meant for arguing back and forth like lil kids :S very disappointed to see something like this ... if you don't wonna answer or think it's too stupid to be answered that's fine just like you want to be respected respect others so zip it and walk away no one forced u to login and post an answer ... as for those who are nice and helpful and are "good Samaritans" well again I thank you in advance and respects to you..... now that i am glad i got that off my chest ... here is my question

I used to have a K8 now I have a KLZE and noticed both engines more less behave the same way or exhibit the same symptom... the pcv valve seems to get a lot of oil leak around it ... normally i replace it when i do my tune up spark plugs dist. rotor yadddy yadaa.. and thought oh may be coz the K8 engine is abused and old ... but the KLZE engine does the same thing ... i understand different cars are designed differently but my buddy's 92 prelude's pcv valve is so nice and dry and nicely firm in there... mine always always have to have some oil around sometimes more than usual where you can just see it ... doesn't seem soo tight in there ... it's not loose that it blows off but still not so nice and tight in there...... is that something to be concerned about ... i am worried about gaskets my engine does burn a bit of oil just a feature that comes with any JDM but only burns in high revs and burns in a normal healthy way just like all japanese engines do... i was thinking of looking into one of those oil catch cans but still I just don't like the idea of my pcv valve letting so much oil get passed the valve cover a bit is okay ... too much is not sounding good .... thanks guys
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

If there's oil around the PCV valve itself then it could only be a few things: either the PCV valve is damaged, not seated properly, or the actual grommet in the valve cover is leaking.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”