Gas type?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
azazel95

Gas type?

Post by azazel95 »

I always fill up with regular unleaded but I was wondering if anyone runs their mx3 on super or premium. With the current gas prices, I don't want to shell out the extra cash unless its worth it. Anyone please comment especially if you run it in a 95 1.6l dohc.
tw1st3d_cl0wn
Supporting Member

Post by tw1st3d_cl0wn »

I believe my manual specifies 87 or higher octane. In my car I use 93 (?) I think it is. Whatever the highest grade is at the pump. In this car, and in other cars I've owned, it seems to me that it burns cleaner, seems to last longer. But maybe that's just me wanting it to be way better. Either way, it's only a couple bucks extra when it comes down to it, so why not get the best?

Also, I've found that certain stations I use actually make a difference in how many miles I get out of a tank. There is a discussion on this in the "General Mazda MX-3" section I think.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I fill up with 89, it lasts longer I noticed, since it doesnt burn as fast as 87
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Well if the car runs cleaner and better and it lasts longer then it deffinately is worth it. Thanks.
exdream_mx3

Post by exdream_mx3 »

yeah i run 89 in mine too!
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Ran 87 octane til advancing the timing for better performance. The timing adv. requires higher octance so run 91-93 now. Higher the better.
Image -Jim
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

i also run advanced timing, 18* initial advance and it pings w/o premium
bp mx-3
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

We've got an all motor BP powered MX-3 running 26* Advance on 93 octane. It eats NA Hondas left n right. We're trying to get it to the track before we put the Mitsu. 16G and custom quickie turbo manifold on. It's gonna be a sleeper for the moment, then built hard later.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Check the link below, you will find much more information from MX-3 enthusiasts who have experimented, or, are regularly using Super Unleaded also known as Premium, also known as Optimax, Ultmate and the like Fuels.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=38717

:D

Thunderstorm
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
D323

Post by D323 »

Higest is not always best...

Of course most of us here have mods in some way on the car, so the 93 octane rating is desired and optimal, but drivers with a stock motor should use the reccomended grade or the next grade higher. The ECU from factory on the stock motor is designed to burn the reccomended octane level fuel mix, and increasing can foul plugs and I have read where it leads to more deposits in the combustion chamber.
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

I'm a Firm believer that unless you advanced timing, installed FI system, or prehaps raised the compression of your engine ( :shock: ), your wasting your money on anything above factory recomendations.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Devilhog

Post by Devilhog »

Just regular for me thx ;) Im running stock everything atm anyways so I see no point in spending a ton more on gas.
Zim_Zim

Post by Zim_Zim »

I use premium, I was using regular until i read my manual.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

The manual doesnt say you need 93 octane :)

Now if your using a ZE , you may want to run premium.

I run 89 octane, only because of high mileage and I dont want pinging.
azazel95

Post by azazel95 »

Ok well will running on a higher grade then regular (87 I think?) without mods or really needing to effect the engine negatively i.e. maybe burn up piston rings or something. Because my car is stock but I would like to run a higher grade for better performance and such but only if it will not cause ANY damage.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”