Amount of oil needed in box? 5.8L with or without pan sum?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Estiee

Amount of oil needed in box? 5.8L with or without pan sum?

Post by Estiee »

I just replaced the oil filter inside the auto box, and in the eunos owners booklet it says that box holds 5.8 litres, but i asume they dont rely you to pull off the g/box sump and drain the oil from there as you change the filter.

So do i need to add extra oil to make up for the drainage from the sump or just leave it at 5.8 total ?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

That would be a dry weight if thats what it says in the book - not a "replacement" value.

So definitely 5.8 litres total.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Estiee

Post by Estiee »

Well it was in the owners manual, the one where they only help you as far as changing oil filter plugs etc, not the actual Gregorys book where they go into detail how to pull the engine apart etc, so was just wondering maybe they asumed you only add 5.8L if you drain the oil from drainage plug, with oil in the trans sump untouched as it is positioned lower than the drainage plug leaving a healthy litre or so in the sump.

Im just paranoid with my transmision as one of the cars i had cost me close to 3grand in repairs, and at the end she gave away and died , so im just making sure my eunos get the best care :D
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I understand where your coming from but it still must be the full volume they quote. As an example, what does the book say for engine oil quantity? If you put that amount in without changing the filter you'd overfill it I'm sure. It wouldn't make any sense at all to quoute a "top up" amount, it would be like saying "check the engine oil on the dip stick - if low add 1 litre of engine oil".

Also check page TD-019 of the online manual. It states 5.8 litres and calls it "capacity".

I'd add the exact stated amount and check it very closely.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “Transmissions”