Taras can you Help?

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Taras can you Help?

Post by Tunes67 »

Taras.. I was wondering since we dont live that far apart if you could help me and another member out of a sticky situation.. Since you live in BC.. I am hoping you arent too far from the Washington/Canadien border.. would it be possible for you and I to meet up sometime this coming weekend (Saturday thru Monday works fine for me anytime).

Here is the situation.. I have a door panel here that needs to get shipped to Jschrauwen (John) But I have found the shipping from down here south of the border to him in Frankford Ontario to be insanely priced.. I was wondering.. If I were to bring up the door panel and the packing materials if it would be possible for you to ship it for us? I realize you dont know me from adam.. but you seem like a decent sort and you also seem to be the closest (that I know of) to the border. John & I will of course cover any shipping charges. Just to give you an idea of what I was quoted when I took this to be shipped... from UPS - $90 Ground, DHL only offered a overnight express service for some reason and wanted $220. Anyway.. any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I guess I will take the lack of response as a "No, I cant help" answer then.. thanks anyway.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Taras

Post by Taras »

Hold your horses Tunes. I looked at the board yesterday and have not seen the thread. Anyway, Kevin sent it to me via email. Thanks Kev.

I would love to help. Yes I can see US when driving by the ocean, but I am on an island unfortunately, Vancouver Island. Driving to the border for me unfortunately is driving to a Clipper ferry terminal. Boarding a ferry for me or you would be expensive in this situation.

Couple of options:
-someone who is coming to Victoria for a visit can bring it over
-ask guys in Vancouver, easier for them to drive over to the border crossing in Blaine,WA or Surrey Truck crossing (better).
-float it over to me from Port Angeles,WA
-wait till June and guys from WA will be coming to Canada for an MX-West annual meet in Kelowna,BC, ask one of them to bring it over, meet them in WA.
-have you checked Greyhound service, they are usually pretty good for larger items. In fact check with them what it will be to Victoria, BC and to Frankford, ON. I will be more than happy to forward it from here to ON to John. I would use Greyhound from here as well.

Let me know if I can help
PS: Next time send me a PM, so I can see it the same day.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Sorry about that.. I just noticed that you posted twice in the forum so I figured you had seen the post.. :oops: Sorry if I jumped the gun on that. :?. I am still checking other options to get it too him, and as of today.. I developed a nasty weird squeal coming from the rear drivers side wheel. Hard to describe the sound.. its not a metal on metal grinding.. and the brakes feel fine and the squeal magically stops when I press down on the brake pedal.. gonna take it someplace tomorrow at lunch (havent decided yet) and get one of those "Free Inspections" so I can find out in a hurry what is making the noise. But at this point.. I have to cancel the trip up north at least till I find out what is making that noise. Doesnt sound or feel like a wheel bearing either.. from the sound I just have never heard anything like it and it has me baffled LOL Usually I can listen to just about any given noise a car can make and at least have some clue as to what it could be. The noise only occurs when the car is rolling so it has be something going on inside the drum back there. Maybe one of the brake shoe springs broke and is allowing the shoe to hit the drum somehow.. dunno.. will be a new one on me though regardless of what it is.

As for getting this door panel to John. So far it just seems that they pull out the surgical gloves the moment I mention going over the border. I figure it would only cost maybe $15-$25 in gas to go up there and back.. Any chance you could check a couple of shipping companies up there (in your area) and see what they would charge to ship a package 55 inches long, 45 inches tall, 6 inches deep and weighing under 10 lbs? I mean if they will only charge like $30 Canadien.. then that wouldnt be so bad compared to what I have been quoted here.. and I dont mind the drive.. plus I get the opportunity to meet some fellow MX-ers :)

And though I have no idea who Kevin is.. you have my thanks as well for forwarding my post to Taras :)

Tunes67

MX-West Car Club

Post by MX-West Car Club »

Tunes67 wrote:And though I have no idea who Kevin is.. you have my thanks as well for forwarding my post to Taras :)

Tunes67
No prob Tunes67. I figured that your post got bumped down a few notches and Taras didn't see it.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

Why dont you just cross the boarder to aldergrove/vancouver and ship it.???its just accross the boarder..That seems to be very logical and easy.....i live in north van. or just give it to some one who is comming to the mx-3 meet and it can make its way to your destination mx-3 shipping style...lol
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Actually thats what I want to do.. just drive up and ship it.. but I would like to know what the cost will be before I head up.. not too mention I dont know the area or where I could ship it from.. I suppose I could find a canadien post office if any are open on Saturdays and just send it from there. But again.. I dont know the area at all. Plus I figure it would be cool to meet up with one or more of the MX-ers up there :)

Tunes67

ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

most of our canadian post are in shopping malls or loonie stores ......just little shops in the back...they are open on saterdays......just email canada post and ask them for the nearest location right from the boarder.......i know where there are lots in Vancouver :P but thats like an hour drive from the board....and a nice speed...if there is anythin u need just ask and i will try and help
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I will check out their site and see if I can dig up a price quote.. I have a issue I need to resolve with my car as you can see from one of my posts above.. but I should know more about that tomorrow.. with a bit of luck.. it wont keep me off the road on Saturday. ;)

Tunes67

Taras

Post by Taras »

Tunes, I will check a few shipping options for you to ship from Vancouver to Ontario. I need John's postal code please. But, please do come up to see us up here. There are a lot of WA owners and we have met only a few over the years. Hope your car will be fine. I remember a few years back, I was driving and suddenly, this weird noise started to come from the back of my car, something was grinding. I pulled over, took the rear wheel off and what do I see. A little stone jammed between the caliper and a brake disk. Should have bought a lottery ticket that day. If you have drums in the back, I am sure it is comething internal.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yup.. drums in the back.. unfortunately.. I am hitting the overtime here at work.. so the soonest I will likely be able to get it checked will be either Friday night or saturday morning. I drove the old Subaru in this morning.. heh.. I dont care if the rear brakes are hosed on that car LOL. But if its nothing dramatic.. I can still come up saturday in the early afternoon or sunday. Guess I will just play it by ear.. oh and Johns Postal code is K0K 2C0. Thanks again man :)

Tunes67

Taras

Post by Taras »

Make sure you got a USA passport to cross the border and come up with a good reason to come to Canada.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Canada Post gives me this after entering all the dimensions:

# The data entered exceeds the maximum allowed. The limit of each dimension is 200 cm (78.74 in).
# The maximum length plus girth cannot exceed 300 cm (118.11 in).
# The maximum weight is 30 kg (66 lb).

I think it might be a tad large for Regular Post.

I'll try alternatives.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Greyhound, you are looking at about C$40-$45 for the package including taxes and home delivery.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Hmmm.. the passport could be a problem.. I havent had one since I was 12 LOL.. Guess I will need to dig up my birth certificate and head down to get one. $40-45 Can still seems spendy.. but a LOT better than UPS. Btw.. those dimensions are the max the package will be.. I even over estimated by at least 2 inches in every direction. Thanks again for checking man.. I still think this is the better route to go. But after seeing what shipping companies charge for this kind of thing.. I have come to the conclusion that I am in the wrong line of business LOL ;)

Tunes67

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”