turbo on 1.8...why not.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
1992mx3

turbo on 1.8...why not.

Post by 1992mx3 »

I have read through most all the listings for turbos on this board. Most of them talking about turbos on 2.0 2.5 liter motors. What would be so bad with just putting on a turbo on a 1.8? I understand that most people want a ton of power but some do not. Like myself I don't expect to get 300 hp from my car infact I am pretty happy with just the 1.8 liter. I would just like to get a little more hp out of it without using nos. Anyone here have any mechanical reasoning why not to put on a turbo the 1.8?
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 speed6, Wife say's i can't work on it.
2004 GSX-R 1000 Mat Mladin Replica
2006 toyota tacoma
1995 MX-6 in pieces almost ready for the junk yard, To much body damage.
Juans_93_MX3

Re: turbo on 1.8...why not.

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

1992mx3 wrote:I have read through most all the listings for turbos on this board. Most of them talking about turbos on 2.0 2.5 liter motors. What would be so bad with just putting on a turbo on a 1.8? I understand that most people want a ton of power but some do not. Like myself I don't expect to get 300 hp from my car infact I am pretty happy with just the 1.8 liter. I would just like to get a little more hp out of it without using nos. Anyone here have any mechanical reasoning why not to put on a turbo the 1.8?
I sometimes hear the Piston Rods will bend on a K8 at about 190hp.
Hey that dosent mean we cant rebuild our K8 and put some better internals in it. Maybe end up spending $1000 in doing that? I dont know but I know that the rebuild kits on the KLDE are cheap (up to $1000) and KLDEs can handle a turbo pretty easily.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You'd defintely want to get some thicker rods. The stock rods in the K8 are a complete joke.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Why would you spend so much money on putting a turbo on the k8 when it would be cheaper and more realiable and just as powerful to bolt on a klze?
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

mxmaz, that is the answer I was expecting to get. I can get a stage 2 turbo new from a buddy of mine for 365.00 usd a custom pipe setup and intercooler for 200.00 usd from another friend why would I want to get a klze? One reason not to is every two years I would have to put the 1.8 liter in to smog it right? Then put back the 2.5 and two years later do it again. With a turbo all I have to do is unbolt the turbo (if that) then reinstall. Hell that sounds good to me concitering by takeing it out every two years I can overhaul it. Well that is my logic...
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 toyota tacoma
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Well like any car project, all it takes is time, prep, and $$$. F/I'ing a k8, sure, if you want that go for it. The only reason you don't see that really at all is because money can be more effectively used for power gains on engine swaps.

Sure, you're getting good deals from your friends, but parts is just half the story. I think you'll end up spending a pretty penny to have a sound running K8-T, or at least, more than you expected.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

1992mx3 wrote:One reason not to is every two years I would have to put the 1.8 liter in to smog it right? Then put back the 2.5 and two years later do it again.
Where'd you get that crap from? Plenty of people have smogged in California before with a KL block.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

See, the problems I got with KLDEs is that most of them that you can find have atleast 140k miles on them.
In other words, they will bring up more problems and wont even last as much as a rebuilt engine.

Most KLZE's on sell have only a few 6k miles on them at a price of about $1200 dollars.
The problem I got with them is that, they cant handle a turbo or power above 200whp.
They cost more than KLDEs but they still have less potential
But I will say this, they are pretty good engines if your goal is to just hit low/mid 14s.

What I understand right now about rebuilding a K8, is that the costs of rebuilding a K8 would be around $1000. About the same price as a KLZE
It may not have as much as power as a KLZE, infact, it'll most likely push the same amount of power as a KLDE but atleast it would have alot more potential than a KLZE
And unlike a used KLDE, the engine would be very healthy
Plus, we wouldnt have to go around telling people "ya, it has a Probe egnine" instead we can tell them that it still has the same MX3 1.8L V6 engine that the car came with
Swapping engines kind of kills the rarity of a car...
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on May 20th, 2005, 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

1992mx3 wrote:mxmaz, that is the answer I was expecting to get. I can get a stage 2 turbo new from a buddy of mine for 365.00 usd a custom pipe setup and intercooler for 200.00 usd from another friend why would I want to get a klze? One reason not to is every two years I would have to put the 1.8 liter in to smog it right? Then put back the 2.5 and two years later do it again. With a turbo all I have to do is unbolt the turbo (if that) then reinstall. Hell that sounds good to me concitering by takeing it out every two years I can overhaul it. Well that is my logic...
It all depends on the year of your engine and car
If you put a 94 engine on your 95 MX3, you wont pass emissions (if they find out)
But, other than that, as long as the engine isnt older than your car you'll pass in Cali
I know because I used to live in L.A.
He11, I know some people that swapped out their 4cyl engine on their SVO Mustangs for a V8 and they pass emissions
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
1992mx3

Post by 1992mx3 »

I assumed due to he different displacement that they would know that it is not a 1.8. I swapped out my 305 for a 350 in my camaro and they new. I just don't want to spend alot of money putting in a new motor having to upgrade the internals in the tranny or swapping the tranny and find out that it will no longer smog. Can you see my point here...
1992 MX-3 GS in work.
2006 toyota tacoma
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

1992mx3 wrote:I assumed due to he different displacement that they would know that it is not a 1.8. I swapped out my 305 for a 350 in my camaro and they new. I just don't want to spend alot of money putting in a new motor having to upgrade the internals in the tranny or swapping the tranny and find out that it will no longer smog. Can you see my point here...
Did you pass emissions on your Camaro?
Transmissions dont have anything to do with smog.

I really dont see your point
I'm pretty sure that you should be able to pass smog with a different engine
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I know Cali is stricter with emissions that here in Washington State.. but up here if you swap an engine out.. all you have to do is take your title to the DMV and report it. They ask what year and car the engine is from and base your emissions off of that car. If they find that the emissions off the car the engine came out of are more lenient than those of your car currently, they just go off of the specs for your car. If they are stronger or tougher than what your original specs for your car are then they go with those specs. Now I havent done this in a while (almost 7 years) But I dont see why they would change it and I would be surprised if Cali didnt have some similar procedure as well. Call your local DMV and ask.

Now as for modding a K8 vs a KLDE or KLZE.. it simply depends on how much power you want and how much work you want or can do or can afford. There simply is no right or wrong way to do this.. its your car.. do what you want. But in the end.. if you do a bit of searching through this site.. I think you will find that overall.. a NA KLZE setup will simply give you the most bang for your buck. You can put stronger internals in your K8 and boost it.. no prob.. but the turbo parts you mention are already $500-$600 and you havent finished buying everything, a bottom end rebuild kit for your K8 to upgrade the rods (at the least) so that it can handle the boost is going to cost you another $150-$300 depending on what you buy. Now.. look at all the fabricating work that needs to be done.. if you have no idea how much work this is.. try taking a look at BabyBlueMX-3's project.. So.. now you are upto $800-$900 in parts roughly.. Now look at this KLZE that millaJ01 got for $850 + $125 shipping.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=41028

He got this engine from Noyanusa.com.. yes you would likely need to buy a KL31 ECU or go with Megasquirt or some other fuel management system.. but you will need to do something similar if you do turbo your K8.. You didnt think you could run your stock K8 ECU under boost did you? ;) Oh.. and what about better fuel injectors that can keep up with your boost? Not to mention the AFPR you will need and probably an upgrade to your fuel pump as well. And that cool sounding BOV you will need too ;) Ooops.. looks like that $800-$900 just shot way up past the cost of a KLZE ;)

Now dont get me wrong guys.. I am not bashing you for wanting to build up your K8's.. there is something to be said for keeping your original engine.. someday.. its conceivable that your car could be worth more if you have the original engine in it. But it is WAY more work to make your K8 put out similar HP numbers than it is to just drop in a KLZE.

Best of luck guys :)

Tunes67
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Post by MX-3 Money »

mxmaz wrote:Why would you spend so much money on putting a turbo on the k8 when it would be cheaper and more realiable and just as powerful to bolt on a klze?
1992mx3 wrote:mxmaz, that is the answer I was expecting to get.
Ya don't worry about those kinda ppl, you know everyones going to tell you to just get a ze or something. But since a lot of ppl have ze's now, you could, oh I don't know, try something new! Just spend some money beefing up your k8 and giver hell on a turbo.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

1992mx3 wrote:I assumed due to he different displacement that they would know that it is not a 1.8. I swapped out my 305 for a 350 in my camaro and they new.
There's a noticeable difference in those engines. With the K8/KL it's possible they'd notice that it's a bigger displacement, but I doubt it. It's impossible to tell by appearance unless they look at the block stamp. Otherwise they'd have to open something up to tell. :shrug:
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Its possiblee but you can run around 6 to 8 psi safely and thats it. If the engine craps out..u can always get a klde and use the same turbo kit :D and way way more power than the klze..w00t :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”