Transmission Leak

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Johnjj728

Transmission Leak

Post by Johnjj728 »

So my cars been leaking transmission fluid for a few weeks. I brought it to the mechanic that put the tranny in last year. Transmission is from a probe gt and only has 45,000 miles on it. He looked at it today and told me its leaking from the speed sensor. Also, the inner axle boot is torn. So i need a new drivers side axle. He said the speed sensor was hard to get to and a hard part to find. This guy screwed me last year. He charged me 1350 to put in a used transmission and new axles. Since the new axles and tranny ive put less than 5000 miles on the car and now i need a new axle, and its leaking fluid from the speed sensor. He claims i need a new speed sensor. Isnt there just a gasket or seal or something that could be changed? If i really need a speed sensor, about how much should it cost to get it replaced? Is it a hard job? Thanks alot
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you have him do the work, and you're questioning his integrity, just tell him before he does the work you want the old parts back when he's done. That way they can't screw you by charging for items he didn't really replace.
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yah its more likley the gasket or seals,
you can get seals for the axle for anywhere between 6 and 30 $ depending where you go. I would imagine the speeed sensor is no different.
It shouldnt cost much at all.
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

There is no way in hell it is leaking from the speed sensor (speedo). It sits on top of the tranny. The seal would have to be terrible to leak from there and even if he didn't install the seal it wouldn't leak much. My bet is that your axle seals have gone bad. Also 1350 to replace a tranny, WAY too much. Get a second opinion from another mechanic and use a different one than him even if it is somehow the speedo seal. Also the seal on the speedo is just a rubber ring, you can get a whole set of them from Harbor Freight for cheap. They have multiple sizes in the kit and all you have to do is find one that is slightly smaller than needed so it is snug when you slide it up on the speedo. I stress that there is no way it is the speedo. Also it is not hard to get to. It is right under the throttle body on the transmision, you'll see the speedo wire coming off the top of it, the speedo is cylindrical in shape and is held onto the tranny with one 10 or 12mm bolt. Replace the seal yourself if you want, but that is not going to stop the leak. You can check for the leak yourself by cleaning all the fluid off the motor, tranny and underbody then check it again after a few days. The area of the leak should be obvious. You'll not see exactly where it is coming from, but the general area. Then look at the shop manual and find what seals are located in theat area and replace them.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”