Installing Cold Air Intake, Need Help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Absath

Installing Cold Air Intake, Need Help

Post by Absath »

So I've removed the stock airbox and pipe. I unplugged some hoses, a couple of plugs, and i had to unscrew this little portion off of the stock airbox that had a hose running to it that wouldnt come loose. One of the other hoses connected to this thing, and another to the airbox itself.

My CAI doesn't have any places for these hoses and plugs to go. What do I do with them?

I'm trying to use http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/211008/4 as reference, but it is very vague. Can someone please help me get through this?

-Tim
Don't park drunk, accidents cause people.

92 Blaze Red MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, ACT Clutch, KL 36 ECU, SS Clutch Line
Absath

Post by Absath »

Here's where I'm running into trouble:

What is that line circled in blue? It's thick, easily pliable, and right in my way. Is that the AC line? What should I do with it? Also, all that junk circled in red is in the way of relocating the coolant tank, and fitting the cone filter down behind the headlight.

And do I keep this thing attached somewhere? Should I just plug the third hose or what?

-Tim

Macen

Post by Macen »

Absath wrote: And do I keep this thing attached somewhere? Should I just plug the third hose or what?
I let that plate hang (my hoses are a way shorter). But try to find a place to mount it. The third hose shouldn't be plugged. Make a little hole in the filter and put it in there.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
Absath

Post by Absath »

Ok, I actually made some decent progress.

I've got the Acura intake cut and assembled with the stock VAF in it. I think I figured out how to mount the coolant tank.

The only problem I'm having now is that I still can't get the air filter down behind the headlight. There's just too much stuff in the way. Should I get a smaller filter?

And does it matter where in the intake i drill the hole for that third hose?

-Tim

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Absath wrote:Image
And do I keep this thing attached somewhere? Should I just plug the third hose or what?-Tim
Yes you want to keep that, it's the FPR solenoid. Fuel Pressure Regulator Solenoid. This works on a vaccum/electrical current and is integral for hot engine re-starts.

I believe the other small hose that plugs into the side of the airbox goes to one of the EGR solenoids, it's not a vaccum line per say.
May I recommend you look through this thread, you may get some inspiration. Going by Steve's you may find that his AC line is removed and that he's in the middle of a turbo configuration. I find Gro Harlems, technically sound and esthetically pleasing.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... air+intake
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I bought a universal coolant tank from Autozone for $6 with mounting kit and hoses. Moved it down byt the transmission mounted to the side of the fram rail. I was able to shimmy my filter down the hole without moving anything else. I bought a smaller sized cone filter. You might need to pick up a smaller diameter one if yours is too big.

kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Ahh, music to my eye balls a nice clean tidy engine bay!
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
Absath

Post by Absath »

Yeah Lakersfan, that is a really nice bay ;) Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to have to pick up a slightly smaller filter than the one that came with the intake. Even if I were to move the AC line and lighting wires out of the way, this filter still wouldnt fit. I'll get a smaller one and I should be able to get this setup running.

After doing some reading, I figure I should remove that battery cooler tube shown in the picture above, so that the filter end will get air. But I assume the battery cooler tube is there for a reason... do I then have to worry about the battery getting too hot?

I also found this which I think I'm going to do with my coolant take for now. I cant understand a word of it, but the pictures are pretty self explanatory: http://www.mazdaklubben.com/index.cfm?s ... lter_v6_ms

-Tim

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

LF1, very nice layout, nice and clean and tidy like Kiwi said, very impressive!!

Absath, did you also notice that there are no AC lines in those pics too. Very nice search results.

LF1, maybe you can confirm, was that an air ducting tube from the drivers side fender well running to the top of the transmission that was removed also. Very smart idea, that must be a Euro thing only, don't think I'd want to remove that.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Absath

Post by Absath »

Well if I buy a smaller filter, the AC line wont matter. I could still route the CAI behind the headlight, and mount the coolant tank to the side of it.

From what I've read, if I don't remove that duct that leads to the battery, the CAI will be starving down behind the headlight. So it's a choice between a starving CAI and a slightly hotter battery.

I still ask... how worried should I be about the battery?

-Tim

J0HN_R1

Post by J0HN_R1 »

:roll: I wouldnt be worried about a warmer battery, if you are simply remove the rubber wether-seal at the back of the hood. This will allow more air to flow up-and-out of your engine-bay...

*For those interested, I just added the cone filter onto the end of the VAF and relocated that vac-line Absath pointed out back in the factory elbow. I also plugged the 'chamber' with some plastic and tightened the hose-clamp super-tight, the one that runs past the distributor... I know its ghetto, but its just 4now untill I get the correct intake-pipe...
When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
Absath

Post by Absath »

LakersFan1- What did you do with the third hose? Two of the smaller hoses attach to the FPR solenoid, what do we do with the third one? Some people say plug it, some people say drill a hole and insert it into the CAI. I don't want to drill a hole I don't need.

How did you do it?

-Tim

bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

sorry to hijack the thread for a second but when I swapped to my ZE I just took it(the FPR solenoid) out of the car... is that ok?? I never had a problem since
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Absath wrote:LakersFan1- What did you do with the third hose? Two of the smaller hoses attach to the FPR solenoid, what do we do with the third one? Some people say plug it, some people say drill a hole and insert it into the CAI. I don't want to drill a hole I don't need.

How did you do it?

-Tim
I think that's the vacuum line I put the littel blue breather filter on you see in the pics. Someone told me if I didn't put a filter on it, it would clog up the sensor that the vacuum line attached to.
Absath

Post by Absath »

Ahh I see it... you just picked that up an an auto parts store?

-Tim

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”