Air Con Condenser Remove/Install

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
psneddon

Air Con Condenser Remove/Install

Post by psneddon »

Hi,

Yet another air con question from me :)

I am about to order a new air con condenser to replace my leaky one but I have a few questions I would really like answered.

1) The condenser is leaky and there is no pressure at all on the low side. Can I safely assume that all the r134a will be done and I can safely remove the condenser?

2) How do I remove the condenser, does anyone have instructions. I see it is help in by 2 screws in the bottom. Do I remove the bumper and take the condenser out from the bottom or do I have to take of the air intake chamber thingy aswell?

Any help or tips would be very much appriciated :)

Paul
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: Air Con Condenser Remove/Install

Post by Grants »

The system will equalise when off, so if there is a leak all the gas will be gone. Just take out a valve anyway to make sure.

I haven't removed a condensor but it looks like it comes out upwards. The book says to remove front undercover (?), fresh air duct, radiator mount, airflow meter and condensor brackets. Then disconnect the inlet and outlet lines and lift out.

Good luck with it and make sure you give it a good vac and change the dryer.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Thanks for the info - I didnt realise I had to replace the dryer too :( I might get the part and get a garage to do it. The only problem I still have is that I'm still not 100% sure that the part for the 1994 US models will fit my 1997 UK model - they have different although simular part numbers.

Paul
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The dryer is actually a flter too and if the system has been open for some time its worth replacing. For the $ its worth it as you don't wanna do the job twice!

If you haven't got the tools (vac pump, gauges, leak detector) its probably better to get a garage to do it. They'll make sure theres no moisture in the system (moisture will freeze at the TX valve and the ac will only work part time) or leaks anywhere else and can probably supply a dryer off the shelf.

I wouldn't know about part numbers but I'd assume the'd be all the same - might vary with the engine being a 4 or 6? Don't know. :shrug:
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I'm in two minds about what to do about it all. If I was to get the part in the UK and get it fitted by mazda it would cost me £380 for the part and fitting (condenser only) and another £100 to get it regassed. Thats nearly $900 USD :( If I was to get the part shipped and do it myself it would cost me about £150 - $270. Thats not including import duty mind you.

So you can see why I'm keen to do it myself. Its not REALLY important to get it fixed but at the same time its annoying having it broken and if I go to sell the car it will reduce the price quite a bit.

If I were to fit the parts myself - then have someone vac pump it and regass it I think that maybe the best way.

So the dryer? Is that behind the dash or is it the component where the low pressure switch is?

One thing I will be doing when I get it fixed is putting some mesh behind the front bumber vents so no crap can get in and can ruin the condenser again!

Paul
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I've changed it before. I think it's just the two screws on the top, and is setting on two things on the bottom to hold it in place. It comes out from the top.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

The dryer (in mine anyway) is located next to the condensor - its the thing on the smaller pipe with the sightglass and high pressure switch (all of the condensor is high pressure - low pressure is only from the evap back to the compressor). You should be able to get a new one pretty cheap - you can get universal ones but don't forget you need the same fittings, etc. You don't need to replace the dryer but if the system has been open for some time it mightn't be any good. You could always take a punt the old one is ok but if you need to replace it afterwards, the system will need vaccing and gassing again.

Yea its a lot cheaper to do yourself. If you do (and I cant see why you can't) just make sure you get it to the garage ASAP after installing the dryer. Or ask the garage to just replace the dryer and regass (get a price first)? You'd have the new condensor in anyway? Just a thought. Oh and if you get a price first tell the garage the system has no gas in it or else they'll quote for reclaiming the old gas.

Hang on: I just read the thread from a few months ago about your ac. Seeing it was working for a while then and you know how to gas the system (you can't get those top up bottles in Australia) I reckon you should just replace the condensor and see how it goes. If it doesn't work properly with the new condensor and with a gas refill, then you can replace the dryer and gas it again - you've only got a couple of cans of gas to lose! For some reason I assumed the system was wide open to the atmosphere but you may be ok. :shrug:

<small>[ September 06, 2004, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Hi,

I finally ordered the condenser today and its getting shipped from the states which should only take a few days (the shipping was more than the actual condenser).

As you know the system has a leak in the condenser and all the pressure (and gas) is all but gone. So can anyone just reassure me that there will be no pressure left in the high pressure site?

Also do I REALLY need to get it vacuumed before I get it gassed back up, or could I leave getting a full AC checkup/service for a few weeks and simply gas it up myself just now? As my plan was to install the new condenser, tighten up the high side piping, but leave the low side loose and then run a little r134a gas though the system (just a little) to push out any air?

Paul
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

ok, so I'm getting my condenser delivered tomorrow and there is a AC pro coming to my house to vacuum, test, and gas it.

Tonight I noticed that in order to access the pipes to disconnect the condenser I would be best to remove the front bumper as getting a spanner at the low pressure side pipe is very difficult. I have had a look at the manual and on the forums but does anyone know if the UK bumpers are different? I can see a bolt in each wheel arch, plus the bots next to the main lights. But when I pull out the front turn signals I cant see any easy to access bolts. Any advice on taking a UK front bumper off.

Paul
psneddon

Post by psneddon »

Well its been one problem after another replacing the condenser. For anyone else looking to replace their ac condenser in the UK, the US parts fit fine (from acpartsnow) so thats a plus. However getting the nut loosend the holds the low pressure pipe into the condenser took ages, it had been put on so tight that the end of the connector had belled and we had to saw 1/8 of an inch off it. Then we noticed that the threads in the nut where stuffed so I need to get a new no.1 cooler pipe (its only a short pipe) and mazda want £70 for it!!!!!!

So going to get the pipe hopefully tomorrow then it should be all working fine.

Paul

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”