quality of the mx-3's ride

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
misfitsfiend

quality of the mx-3's ride

Post by misfitsfiend »

how can someone improve the quality of the riding on the mx-3
i notice thats theres tons of noise and rumbling when i drive how is it possible to improve the quality .. like to the level where you wont feel the road so much and have less noise while riding
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Tires, springs, struts, new bushings.
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Wheel bearings are usually where a majority of road noise originates.. as well as a relatively hard rubber composit for the tires.. sure you can get a tire that will last 100,000 miles.. but thats because the rubber is almost a plastic.. no give to the tread surface.. so it produces more noise. Get a softer tire.. yes they have a lower mileage rating.. but they are typically quieter.. give a smoother ride and.. as a bonus.. usually grip better as well.

Tunes67
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

i'm gonna soundproof my car soon (just wrote my last paper for school about 1 hour ago so now i have the free time to do this mod!! woohoo!!!)... i've been told if i do it right my car will feel like a luxury car.... alright, alright, i know it doesn't improve suspension :lol: but it does practically eliminate road vibrations which cause driver's fatigue... plus your car will be as quiet as a tomb, even at highway speeds... this is an alternative

oh yea, another plus is that improves the quality of sound from your audio system... since it's quieter you'll have less road noise, and less road noise means less volume, less volume means less distortion, less distortion means more enjoyment... so basically it's a way of making your speakers sound louder than they actually are... it's a good way around purchasing better quality audio equipment!
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
Flashpoint2

Post by Flashpoint2 »

Soundproof? You mean Dynomat? If that;s the case, just go by a roll of the roofing stuff. It's the same thing as dynomat, and its an awful lot cheaper.
1996 MX-3 RS - Sold.
2004 RX-8 GS - Yay!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Flashpoint2 wrote:Soundproof? You mean Dynomat? If that;s the case, just go by a roll of the roofing stuff. It's the same thing as dynomat, and its an awful lot cheaper.
Mark, outstanding reasoning wrt roadnoise/soundproofing. I've done a bit and still have a bunch more to go. Try a search of some of my old posts aound last december or so for info on soundproofing. Dynamat is nice but like FP2 said- way too pricey. I've accumulated a pile of old mouse pads. These things are made of a very soft, cushiony rubber that is of a closed cell nature - ie will not absorb or retain moisture. I'll be pulling the skins of the doors and clean the inside metal portion of the door. Once cleaned, I'm going to use a 3M spray adheasive to that metal panel and attach those mouse pads cut to the right sizes to sit tight and flush eveywhere. I'm anticipating that this will make a dramatic difference wrt to road noise. Additionally, I'll replace the plastic moisture barrior that resides right behind the door panel with an even thicker guage plastic - used in house building vapour barriors. If I could source a ton of those mouse pads, I'd redo all of the floor area under the carpet and the inside firewall as well. Noise reduction goes a long way to improving the quality of the the ride...IMO.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... +deadening
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

john/flashpoint, i'm one step ahead of u guys!!! i think i even replied in some of your sound deadening threads john... i've already purchased that roofing underlayment that fp2 was talking about, and i'm also gonna use carpet padding (like what u use in your house under the carpeting), and i'm anticipating audio bliss.... u can read all about it cuz i'm gonna be writing an exhaustive write-up w/ pics hoping to encourage/convince people to try this themselves... i've only heard good things about doin it...
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

MarkMoore wrote:john/flashpoint, i'm one step ahead of u guys!!! i think i even replied in some of your sound deadening threads john... i've already purchased that roofing underlayment that fp2 was talking about, and i'm also gonna use carpet padding (like what u use in your house under the carpeting), and i'm anticipating audio bliss.... u can read all about it cuz i'm gonna be writing an exhaustive write-up w/ pics hoping to encourage/convince people to try this themselves... i've only heard good things about doin it...
Sounds great Mark, and yes I remember you asking about it last December. Remember we also touched on the issue of closed cell insulating material. Now depending if your using that multi-coloured mosiac type carpet underlayment - you'll get some good soundproofing value but the possible down side is that it's probably not a closed cell construction, ie, will absorb and retain every bit of moisture it comes into contact with. Now for those living in the sunnier/warmer climates of this world this would not be an issue. Those that still contend with heavy rainfalls and especially snowfalls can expect a certain amount of water to come in contact with the carpet. I'm not sure if there's a closed cell type of carpet underlayment available but it's certainly worth the effort to find out. Looking forward to your write-up.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
misfitsfiend

Post by misfitsfiend »

that sounds so ghetto.... slapping on some crusty foam s--- on the insides of your car haha

watch you get into an accident and have to get the dents out by hammering out the metal ... haha the body man will laugh cuz hes gonna see all the crap you used to cut corners...

whats the roofing stuff youre talking about though
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

misfitsfiend wrote:that sounds so ghetto.... slapping on some crusty foam s--- on the insides of your car haha

watch you get into an accident and have to get the dents out by hammering out the metal ... haha the body man will laugh cuz hes gonna see all the crap you used to cut corners...

whats the roofing stuff youre talking about though
i don't see what would be so funny about that, most cars already have some sort of foam to deadening road noise, it's just that since we have small little economy cars, they bypassed this step to make our cars lighter, cheaper, etc.

take off the door panel to any car, like a toyota camry or whatever, and more than likely u'll find some sort of foam or deadening

i'm hoping i'll never get in an accident though, haha

http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/pro ... id=63#2897

it's called "grace Ice and Water Shield".... u can go to that site, read about it, and Locate a Distributor on the side of my link... this stuff is almost exactly like Dynamat, except w/o aluminum backing (it has a rubbery type backing, but works just as well)

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”