what's wrong?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MarkMoore

what's wrong?

Post by MarkMoore »

wasn't sure if this was a V6 matter, or an appearance matter, so i compromised and it ended up in the general section... i just put on a new magnaflow custom exhaust bout a month or 2 ago... i'm satisfied except for one thing... i have those pretty stainless steel exhaust tips, and now basically every single time i drive my car the pretty shiny finish is covered up w/ black junk... it wipes right off w/ my finger, but this is an annoying and dirty job... i just want them to stay clean looking for a period of time... does this mean i have dirty exhaust gases? my egr is supposedly messed up, so could this have anything to do w/ it? how do i fix the problem?!
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The black stuff is likely carbon, this is a direct result of your air/fuel mixture running too rich. There are a number of things (including the EGR system) than can affect your air/fuel mixture. Timing, TPS, VAF, TB adjustment, etc.. Time to dig in the shop manual.. read up on everything and start testing and adjusting.. or.. take it into mazda and have them diagnose/repair. You could also try pulling CEL codes and see what those tell you as well. Best of luck.

Tunes67
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

thanks for the help tunes!
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”