I lost the Park lights, Help Cant safely drive at night

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Bbqman218

I lost the Park lights, Help Cant safely drive at night

Post by Bbqman218 »

Where is the first place to check? The dash lights, and the park lamps our not working. The headlights, and brake , signals work, but the the running lamps are comeing on. Each time a fuse is place in, Pop , and out it goes again, Need help finding a solution quick.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

That fuse does the rear tail lights, front markers and dash lights. It runs through a relay under the dash called the TNS relay.

The fault could be almost anywhere so what I'd be tempted to do is:
- disconnect the dimmer (it just pops out of the dash and unplugs and will isolate the dash lights)
- remove all the relevant bulbs, inspect them and leave them out (it could be a short actually in the bulb itself)
- unplug the TNS relay if you can locate it ok (could be a short in the coil)
- try putting a fuse back in now and turn it on.
If the fuse doesn't blow, plug in the TNS relay (check fuse again), put each bulb in one at a time and see what happens, lastly plug the dimmer in if you get that far.
If the fuse blows with everything disconnected, there must be a short in the wiring and this will be harder to find. If it blows when you reconnect the TNS relay, the short could be in the relay itself or still be in the wiring after the relay (swap the relay if this happens and try again).

Only do this process if your happy to allow the stress on your electrical system. Its not the best way to do it but probably the quickest. If you do all the steps above you should only have one or 2 more fuses blow anyway.

Hope this helps, let us know how you go.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Scream

Post by Scream »

I ran into the same problem about a month ago .... managed to make it home .... changed the fuse under the dash twice .... turned the signal light on ... and luckily was standing outside the car at the time and saw a poof of smoke come from the front marker light .... rainy night ... frayed wire ... luckily saw the smoke off the hop ... and didn't have to search to hard.
Bbqman218

FOund the culpret,

Post by Bbqman218 »

:oops: I had installed a stereo, and didnt think of it being the problem. Everything was great at night. I drove about 30 miles, and when I came to my neighborhood, I went over one of those overgrown speed bumps, and when I crossed, the lights went out. Then I got to my driveway and changed the fuse, and they came back on. Then I was leaving again, and out they went. Then it continued to blow from then on. On the radio I had a dimmer wire, and a illumination wire, The harness was new for the deck, and left the factory spice end alone thinking it was covered, so nothing would go wrong. Well the dimmer wire somehow touched something and caused the short. I have it caped off now and the lights are back.

Thank you Very much for the support of your suggestions.

94 mxr, Chris
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

:2thumbsup: Well done - Its good you've got it going again, faults like that can be very hard to find.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”