CV Joints

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ManoWar

CV Joints

Post by ManoWar »

Can you drive with your cv joint screwed up. Or do i need to replace it right away. I changed the ball joints today as they where really bad and i couldn't find a cv joint everywhere i go so until maximum friday i might have to drive with this cv joint. After 110 car starts shaking really badly. Left turns have the typical crack crack crack sound (only right side cv joint is bad). What is worse thing that can happen? Car wont move? due to no power from the transmission coming to the wheels or something more severe. Such as transmission problems or potentially wheel problems.

Thx
OptiX

Post by OptiX »

how messed up is it?

cuz i was driving on a worn out one with a broken boot since september of last year.

i replaced it last week with a wheel bearing... but i still have to do my ball joints :lol:

if its just clicking when you turn... still driveable... dont worry about it much.

if its clunking on turns.... time to start thinking about sourcing a rebuilt cv axle from a parts store and keeping her handy

if its starting to clunk when you hit the gas or downshift.... TO THE SHOP WE GO TANTO!
andy

Post by andy »

You should be able to make it to Friday night with no problems. If it should decide to grenade on you, carry a cell phone on you so you can get it towed home. Low risk of that happening. Just don't go WOT while turning.

Andy 93 GS
anvil82

Post by anvil82 »

I drove 4-6 weeks with bad cv joints, then I had them fixed.

Man was that annoying.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”