Reusing Valve cover gaskets

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3newbie77
Supporting Member

Reusing Valve cover gaskets

Post by MX3newbie77 »

Well, I was pulling apart my KL-ZE today and the V.C. gaskets are practically brand new. I looked them over 2 or 3 times and couldn't find any cracks, tears, etc...

Is it alright to reuse them, or should I get new ones?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Generaly I replace all gaskets if they have been torqued down before.. Now I have seen valve cover gaskets recently that are made of a very flexible rubber and those may work ok depending on how long they have been torqued down.. but typically.. gaskets are cheap and if you replace them you know you wont have to rip it apart again to replace them if they dont work. Just my two coppers..

Tunes67
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

If the Rubber is still soft then then gasket should be good to go but if it's hard replace it.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

use some gasket seal and you can reuse it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

not suppose to use gasket seal on our engines, but like what was posted their reusable if their still soft.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

even if they are brand new use gasket sealer on the BOTTOM of the gasket (the part taht touches the cylinder head)

I bought new gaskets, didn't use sealer and the bastages still leaked. I had to remove the manifold and gasket the crap out of the rear & front and now it don't leak. Dunno why it did that but it did...maybe my valve covers are bent or something and don't seat properly w/out that stuff.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

Good to know. I just got a new front and rear valve cover gasket set and I didnt plan to use silicone... I will now.

My rear VC has been leaking since the motor went in and I've been dreading fixing it. Someday I will... someday *hint hint megasquirt+550cc injector install*
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”