Heim Joints

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
93SOHC

Heim Joints

Post by 93SOHC »

Tonight I ordered some heim joints to make adjustable rear swaybar links. The shafts are female so i'm gonna use studs or threaded rod to hold the together and adjust them. I am also going to use grade 8 bolts to attach them to the swaybar and stuff. Sound good, or did I waste 20 bucks? i;ve seen it done before, so I figured for $100 a set for new swaybarlinks i'd try to make em' myself first.
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I found the endlinks to be to long and I had to machine them shorter to make them work.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
mm2587

Post by mm2587 »

two female joints will be too long for the mx-3, you'll need one male, one female. Also I hope the joints you ordered have a teflon lining and are corrosion resistent, otherwise they are going to squeak like hell in a matter of weeks. Also make sure that all the hardware you use is stainless/galvinized as rust from the hardware will also make them squeak. Advice from someone who knows...
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yep, I ordered one threaded male and one female and they can be adjusted from like 2.5 to 3.5". The stock endlinks on our car are about 3" both front and rear.

You need to buy a nut to "locK" the male to the female and the thread pitch is a little weird, making the nut harder to find. I got mine from the auto parts store where they sell baggies of nuts and bolts of varying sizes.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

damn it! I knew I would mess this up! So I gotta get 2 male ends as well?
Its seems I got the rest correct though, they're teflon lined and are corrosion resistant. Looks like I gotta get a bit more stuff, but still its way cheaper than a set of stock ones
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”